Adding XP Pro to NT 4.0 Server

G

Mr. Lowe,
I am having the same difficulty(error), and I can see many others have also. I just need help understanding your questions. I have a simple retail server system consisting of a server running NT Server 4.0(domain TW22, computer name BACKROOM1, a cash register running NT Workstation(domain TW22, computer name RG1, and I just added the XP Pro computer in place of a Win 98 machine(domain TW22, and computer name BACKROOM2). I unplugged the Win98 machine from the network and in its place put the new XP Pro machine. I ran the network wizard on the XP Pro machine and yet neither the NT machine or the XP machine list each other in their respective "Network Neighborhoods." On the XP machine, I have gone into System Settings and used the Computer Name tab to rename the XP machine BACKROOM2 with the Domain TW22. I also pinged the server IP address as indicated by ipconfig as being 10.10.10.0 and the ping failed. Why did it fail? The server and computers are connected with a 3Com eight port hub, all computers are lit on the hub. The network adaptor cards are indicating that there are no problems. What have I not done to make this simple connection work?
What do you mean by "Where is the NT4 domain controller?" Do you mean in my case TW22, or is there some physical controller that I just don't know about? The Network Neighborhood on this server consists of ENTIRE NETWORK, MICROSOFT WINDOWS NETWORK, TW22, BACKROOM1, REG1.

How do you ping the domain controllers name?

If I see a NodeType reported by an ipconfig /all command what am I to do with that information?

How do I check to see if a WINS Server is in use? And if so how do I ping it? And how do I check to see if it contains a Domain-name<1C> entry?

Any assistance you can provide in answering these questions so that I can understand what to do to set up this computer would be greatly appreciated. It amazes me that you have to spend so much time repeatedly answering the same issue over and over again. It seems obvious that there is a design flaw in the intended outcome of the ease of installation of these type of networks.

Reaction score
I tried all of the things you suggest, and all of the tests work, but I still can't reach the domain controller. I tried to add an entry to the lmhosts file, but I honestly don't know the format. I'm not even sure if I have the right name for the file.

I believe that my problem is that my XP Pro box is on a 10.1.x.x network and the domain server is on a 165.254.x.x network. They can ping each other, and they can even cross mount shared objects, but the domain server can't be reached.

Can you offer some guidance?

Ask a Question