Adding an item to "Send To" menu

~ FreeSpirit ~

From the website below:

Open System in Control Panel. On the User Profiles tab, and under Profiles
stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then
click Copy To. In the Copy To dialog box, ..........

$$ There is NO "copy To" when I click on user profile. See what I mean?
There is no "dialog box." I clicked on "Owner Administrator" which is the
only account on this PC aside from the new one I can't find called
"FreeSpirit Administrator."

........... under Copy profile to, type the location for the new profile,

$$ That's not possible even if there was a dialog box since I can't find the
new account I just created called FreeSpirit Administrator."

or click Browse to select the path.
Click Change to open the Choose User dialog box, click a new user from the
Names list, and then click Add. The new user name will appear in Add Name.
Click OK to add the user as a new user profile on your computer.

$$ Where are all these things on my PC?

FS ~

Wesley Vogel said:
It means that you are using OWNER. You have XP Home and you didn't get a
proper account setup.

%homepath% is an environment variable that is the path to the user's home
directory.

Normally when %homepath% is typed in Start | Run it brings up
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here or whatever drive D:, E:, F:,
etc.

Yours doesn't, because you do not have a proper account.

Normally when %homepath%\SendTo is typed in Start | Run it brings up
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\SendTo or whatever drive D:, E:,
F:, etc.

Yours doesn't, because you do not have a proper account.

Normally when sendto is typed in Start | Run it brings up
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\SendTo or whatever drive D:, E:,
F:, etc.

Yours doesn't, because you do not have a proper account.

Out of curiosity what happens if you type: my documents in Start | Run?

Same Windows cannot find error? Or does My Documents folder open as it
should?

How about if you type: owner into Start | Run?

It opens the OWNER folder, right? Is it C:\OWNER?

*******************
Post back with what opens.
*******************

Almost any advice anyone gives you will be incorrect for you as you can
see.
You do not have a proper account.

Set up a proper account.

How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP

How to Copy or Remove a User Profile
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm#usercopy

If you're going to create a new account, do not delete OWNER until you
have
everything moved to the new account. Even these instructions may be
tricky.

[[The Owner account may not be removed correctly when you run Setup on
computers that are running Windows XP Home Edition. The Owner account is
displayed as "Account Unknown" when you view profiles on the computer.
Also, the Owner folder is not removed because the profile is not removed.
Note that other problems occur if an Owner account is used or created
during the remainder of setup or Out of Box Experience (OOBE).]]

[[This problem does not occur on Microsoft Windows XP Professional-based
computers because the Administrator account is used during Setup. This
problem also does not occur on Windows XP Home Edition-based computers if
you do not use the Owner name as the default user. The OOBE deletes the
Owner account before completing the procedure after you install the fix
from
this article.

NOTE: Existing data in the Owner folder from the Owner and the
Administrator
is copied to the Default User folder before it is deleted.]]

The Owner Account Is Displayed As "Account Unknown" in Profiles on Windows
XP Home Edition-Based Computers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312131

[[During the installation process, the default user's profile is created
based on the Administrator profile. The problem occurs when Windows
queries
the security identifier (SID) of the Administrator account. Because the
computer name is the same ("Administrator" for Windows XP Professional or
"Owner" for Windows XP Home Edition) as the user name, the SID of the
computer is returned, not the SID of the Aministrator account. There is
no
entry for the computer SID in the corresponding registry location
(HKLM\...\ProfileList), and the profile path is set as empty. This
basically becomes the root of the system drive. Therefore, the whole
system drive is copied to the %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Default
User folder, which takes a long time. ]]
Installation May Take a Long Time If You Use "Administrator" or "Owner" as
the Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327917

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In
~ FreeSpirit ~ said:
## How do I find that? I'm the owner and only user of this PC.
Start/Run
works for everything else.

## It says OWNER.

## I C&P it and no folder opens. I get this error: "Windows cannot find
'/documents'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.
To search for a file..... "

## I found 3 "sendto" folders using AgentRansack. Both under documents
and settings. One was administrater and the other default User. The 3rd
was in C:\Windows\system32.....

What does this mean?

FS.........

Shenan Stanley

FS,

See my more detailed response laying out the actual steps you need to take.

~ FreeSpirit ~

Did you log in as the user yet?
How do I log in as the USER? I don't log in. The PC boots up and that's
it - there is no logging in. ???? I can't find the new account I created
called "FreeSpirit Administrator" to configure it. How/where are these new
accounts located? There is nothing in/on the User Account window for
configuring.

FS~

~ FreeSpirit ~

Shenan Stanley said:
Did you log in as the user yet?
From the Website: Note: You must be logged on as an administrator to the
local computer to copy user profiles. To open a Control Panel item, click
Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the
appropriate icon.
## Which is the APPROPRIATE icon to log on as the admin or the USER? The
website doesn't say......

As I already posted, I don't log on when my PC is turned on.

FS~

~ FreeSpirit ~

Shenan Stanley said:
Log in as the user...
====================
How? There is no log-in. My PC boots up and is ready to use. How do I find
a way to log-in as the User?

FS~

~ FreeSpirit ~

Shenan Stanley said:
FS,

See my more detailed response laying out the actual steps you need to
take.
======================
Where is this detailed response? How the heck did this thread get
cross-posted everywhere?

FS~

Alan Edwards

[excessive crossposting removed]

It got crossposted because your original message was crossposted to
all those groups.

This is part of your original header:

From: "rwrede" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Subject: Adding an item to "Send To" menu

....Alan

Shenan Stanley

~ FreeSpirit ~ said:
From the Website: Note: You must be logged on as an administrator to
the local computer to copy user profiles. To open a Control Panel
item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then
double-click the appropriate icon.
## Which is the APPROPRIATE icon to log on as the admin or the USER? The
website doesn't say......

As I already posted, I don't log on when my PC is turned on.

Log Off..
CTRL+ALT+DEL and choose to log off or choose Log Off from your start menu.

Shenan Stanley

~ FreeSpirit ~ said:
====================
How? There is no log-in. My PC boots up and is ready to use. How do
I find a way to log-in as the User?

Log Off as the current user.. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and find log off in the
choices that come up pr look at your start menu and choose log off..
Try Control Panel --> User Accounts and "Change the way users log on and
off"..
Or better yet - set a password for your account now that you have more than
one account.

Ok, right click on start button then the my computer icon and choose manage,
open local users and groups, users see the list of users? Leave the built in
(4-5) users alone or click their properties and disable them, a red x appears
on them. If you see a user here that you remember creating click it's
properties and add your name, set password and add it to the administrators
group. See the administrators account add your full name to that one and
leave it alone until you read up a bit. You should now have two accounts and
the others disabled. Right click users and select new, to add a new user,
member of tab, add, advanced, fined now, administrator, ok, ok..

j;-)

~ FreeSpirit ~

Shenan Stanley said:
Log Off..
CTRL+ALT+DEL and choose to log off or choose Log Off from your start menu.
========================
Then how do I log back with the old name "Owner Administrator" if something
goes wrong? If I lock myself out of this PC the whole network is "out."

FS~

~ FreeSpirit ~

Ron Sommer said:
This thread was started by "rwrede" <[email protected]> and has always
been cross-posted.
=========================
Thanks,... I need to remember to check before sending messages. :-( But I
don't know which to remove since I don't know which group the person is
replying from.

FS~

~ FreeSpirit ~

Jaymon said:
Ok, right click on start button then the my computer icon and choose
manage,

## There is NO *MANAGE* to select when I click My Computer icon. Where is
*MANAGE* located in WXP-Home/Sp2? It's neither in the left panel or the
right panel of the MyComputer window. How else can I locate it? FAFAF
cannot find a "Manage."
open local users and groups, users see the list of users?

## First I have to locate "MANAGE" as it's not there in my version of
XP/SP2. Are you assuming I'm using the Pro version?

FS~

Leave the built in

~ FreeSpirit ~

Shenan Stanley said:
Log Off as the current user.. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and find log off in the
choices that come up pr look at your start menu and choose log off..

## I need to know how to LOG-ON or LOG-IN. I don't see that option
anywhere. If I log *out* as "Owner Amdininstraor" how do I log back in to
get online? If I screw this up somehow I screw up the whole network from
getting online. Also, once logged out as "Owner Amin" - how do I LOG-IN as
"FreeSpirit Admin?" - the second account?
Try Control Panel --> User Accounts and "Change the way users log on and
off"..

## OK. I found that....... but that doesn't help on how to *log-in* using
another administrator name.
Or better yet - set a password for your account now that you have more
than one account.

## I can't set passwords. We don't want to have to sign in with passwords
when we turn on this PC. Although I'm the only USER of this PC, it must be
booted in the morning to get the network online. I'm not always the person
who turns it on.

FS~~

Shenan Stanley

~ FreeSpirit ~ said:
## I can't set passwords. We don't want to have to sign in with
passwords when we turn on this PC. Although I'm the only USER of
this PC, it must be booted in the morning to get the network online. I'm
not always the person who turns it on.

You wouldn't have to except for a few times - to verify that it is the
original bum account causing your issues!

You could then either change the setting back.. or easier yet - set the
password to BLANK - nothing - no password.. Press ENTER on the password and
you are logged in. You could do that or use somehting like the Microsoft
Powertoy TweakUI to automatically logon the good user.

TRY logging on as the user.. In whatever way you have to. Technically -
when you added the new user, it should have (on the next boot) presented you
with a logon. If you check that box and have set no password for either
account - it will boot to the welcome screen with a list of users OR it will
boot to a place where you type in the username and password - and if you set
no password, just pressing ENTER will get you past that.

Whatever the case - after you log in as the NEW user once and determine
whether or not this fixes the majority of your issues (Send To, etc..) -
then you can make it where this NEW user is the only one and IT
automatically logs on at boot up. But if you are unwilling to even try -
then there is no point in continuing to try and troubleshoot as far as I can
see it. If it is your profile that is the problem, this will pinpoint it
and the proper steps can be taken - but we won't know unless you try it.

A password for a few logons (or just having to choose between two users on a
welcome screen with NO passwords) has got to be better than the mess I have
seen in the multiple posts from you throughout these newsgroups. *grin*

~ FreeSpirit ~

Shenan Stanley said:
You wouldn't have to except for a few times - to verify that it is the
original bum account causing your issues!

## With all due respect, how would this prove it a bum account? You mean
it's the cause of so many things not being on my PC that I read here?
You could then either change the setting back.. or easier yet - set the
password to BLANK - nothing - no password.. Press ENTER on the password
and you are logged in. You could do that or use somehting like the
Microsoft Powertoy TweakUI to automatically logon the good user.

## I'm no techie and don't need techie-toys to confuse the matter even
more. :)
TRY logging on as the user.. In whatever way you have to.

## There is no USER account. It's just "Owner Administrator" and
"FreeSpirit Administrator" which doesn't show up yet in WE.

Technically -
when you added the new user, it should have (on the next boot) presented
you with a logon.

## Nope! I added the new Admin' account and nothing was presented at
bootup.

If you check that box and have set no password for either
account - it will boot to the welcome screen with a list of users OR it
will boot to a place where you type in the username and password - and if
you set no password, just pressing ENTER will get you past that.

## Nothing happened when I booted (account wise) up so there was nothing to
select.
Whatever the case - after you log in as the NEW user once and determine
whether or not this fixes the majority of your issues (Send To, etc..) -
then you can make it where this NEW user is the only one and IT
automatically logs on at boot up. But if you are unwilling to even try -

## OK, I can try and see if I can log in using the new Admin account. As you
know I now have TWO admin accounts.
then there is no point in continuing to try and troubleshoot as far as I
can see it. If it is your profile that is the problem, this will pinpoint
it and the proper steps can be taken - but we won't know unless you try
it.

A password for a few logons (or just having to choose between two users on
a welcome screen with NO passwords) has got to be better than the mess I
have seen in the multiple posts from you throughout these newsgroups.
*grin*

## Someone else started this thread and I got involved. I didn't add all
those NGs. ;-)

If I screw up this PC trying to log on as the second Amin I can contact you
from another PC using the land ISP.

FS~

Nightowl

~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote on Thu, 4 Aug 2005:
## There is NO *MANAGE* to select when I click My Computer icon. Where
is *MANAGE* located in WXP-Home/Sp2? It's neither in the left panel
or the right panel of the MyComputer window. How else can I locate it?
FAFAF cannot find a "Manage."

FS

Jaymon said *right-click* on My Computer, not open it. Right-click and
you should see Manage in the context menu that pops up.

Jone Doe

Left click the start button, then just RIGHT click my computer, and manage
should be about the third down on the drop down menu there.

~ FreeSpirit ~

Jaymon said:
Ok, right click on start button then the my computer icon and choose
manage,
open local users and groups, users see the list of users?

** OK, found it but there is no "users". It's called "computer management"
under manage - but this is the selection there:

System Tools
Storage
Services and Applications.

Where would "local users and groups" be found on that *management* window.
I opened the tree to look - no "local users and groups." This is
XP-home/SP2.

Leave the built in
(4-5) users alone or click their properties and disable them, a red x
appears
on them.

## Where are they located in the "Computer Management" window? Are you
talking about XP-Pro?

If you see a user here that you remember creating click it's
properties and add your name, set password and add it to the
administrators
group.

## There is NOTHING about users in the "comp management" window.

See the administrators account add your full name to that one and
leave it alone until you read up a bit. You should now have two accounts
and
the others disabled.

## How can I create another account some other way? There is no way using
that window. Also, I can't LOG OFF ans the Owner Administrator. I get a
"system error."

Right click users and select new, to add a new user,
member of tab, add, advanced, fined now, administrator, ok, ok..

## How else can this be done since there is nothing in the "computer
managment" window but:

System Tools
Storage
Services and Applications.