Active X problem

Jason W.

Hi,

Lately, whenever I browse to NFL.com, ESPN.com, and other sports sites I get
the information bar asking me to install an active x control. I tried
installing the control, but IE blocked it saying it was from an unsigned
publisher. The name of the control was ocget.dll. The web sites seem to load
fine, but it gets annoying having the information bar popping up all the
time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Did you post this under the name "Manco" on 11-21? See my answer to that
question. New info: if adding those sites to the Trusted sites list doesn't
work, there's a registry edit you could try. But, I would try the Trusted
Sites solution first.

Regards,
Don

Jason W.

Hi Don,

No, this is my first post on the subject. I already tried adding ESPN.com to
the trusted zone, and that didn't work. I also changed the security settings
for unsigned active x controls to enable, and that didn't work either. It's
really puzzling why this control always pops up on sports sites like
NFL.com, SI.com, and it's not signed. Thanks for the help.

Manco

Don said:
Hi,
Did you post this under the name "Manco" on 11-21? See my answer to
that question. New info: if adding those sites to the Trusted sites
list doesn't work, there's a registry edit you could try. But, I
would try the Trusted Sites solution first.

Regards,
Don

No, I didn't post under a different name, you can easily verify by looking
at the message properties. What is that registry edit?

Don Varnau

Hi,
Try the solution at
http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/bugtraq0303/166.html
Here's the MSKB article:

You should, of course, create a restore point or backup the registry or
export that key before deleting the data from the CodeBaseSearchPath string
value.

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

Jason W. said:
Hi Don,

No, this is my first post on the subject. I already tried adding ESPN.com to
the trusted zone, and that didn't work. I also changed the security settings
for unsigned active x controls to enable, and that didn't work either. It's
really puzzling why this control always pops up on sports sites like
NFL.com, SI.com, and it's not signed. Thanks for the help.
Did you post this under the name "Manco" on 11-21? See my answer to that
question. New info: if adding those sites to the Trusted sites list
doesn't
work, there's a registry edit you could try. But, I would try the Trusted
Sites solution first.

Regards,
Don
get

Don Varnau

No, I didn't post under a different name, you can easily verify by looking
at the message properties. What is that registry edit?

Hi,
Sorry, no offense intended. Your messages were very similar.

Try the solution at
http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/bugtraq0303/166.html
Here's the MSKB article:

You should, of course, create a restore point or backup the registry or
export that key before deleting the data from the CodeBaseSearchPath string
value.

Don

Jason W.

I didn't like having to modify the registry just to view a web page, but it
worked. Thanks for the help, Don.