Accidents happen ... ouch!!

Reaction score
HEMS ( Helicopter Emergency Medical Service) operations are these days an important part of the golden hour of (1st hour after someone is injured) getting a person to hospital.

Oh & nice pics.:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Excelent photos Mucks, hope the injured person made it okay. Lovely scenery surrounding that piece of road :nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Interesting pix Mr Mucks .

I once had one of those helicopters land for an RTA victim about thirty metres from where I was stuck in traffic because of the accident. Very noisy :D

It was on the main London South Circular Road at Hither Green (close to where the sixties train crash happened) and both sides of the road were lined with large trees.

The helicopter barely had enough room to land through the trees but it did and whisked some poor so and so off to the London Hospital over in East London.

Are those 'copters paid for by the NHS or the local ambulance service?

I must say it's comforting to know they're about :thumb:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Interesting pix Mr Mucks .

I once had one of those helicopters land for an RTA victim about thirty metres from where I was stuck in traffic because of the accident. Very noisy :D

It was on the main London South Circular Road at Hither Green (close to where the sixties train crash happened) and both sides of the road were lined with large trees.

The helicopter barely had enough room to land through the trees but it did and whisked some poor so and so off to the London Hospital over in East London.

Are those 'copters paid for by the NHS or the local ambulance service?

I must say it's comforting to know they're about :thumb:

We were on holiday in Northumbria a few years ago,and we were visiting Dustanburgha castle(correct spelling?)As we were walking towards it,with the cliffs to our right,a RAF rescue helicopter came up.We heard no noise before hand to tell us a air craft was about,but when it cleared the cliff edge all hell was let loose,the noise was unreal. We still don`t know if it was on a rescue mission or not.
historian

Reaction score
Our Air Ambulance is MAGPAS - which is a medical charity. One of the guys I work with is a critical care paramedic full time, and he flies in the MAGPAS chopper as his day job.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Our Air Ambulance is MAGPAS - which is a medical charity. One of the guys I work with is a critical care paramedic full time, and he flies in the MAGPAS chopper as his day job.

You start soon don't ya..? "As a copper for those that don't know Chris" Hope ya gonna have a haircut before you start mate..LOL be the last time I call you mate to..Coppers hate that...:p

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
You're not my mate! ;-)

6th July is when training starts!

See its in yer blood already..We got it screamed in our faces from day on in training. I've worked for the Met over here to, although doing office work, didn't really want to go backout in the field after been a copper in SA..Training over here is pretty easy compared to SA..Are you going to go for any Firearms..? Anyway best of luck, and hope training goes well, we need good young fresh blood in our services...:thumb:

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
See its in yer blood already..We got it screamed in our faces from day on in training. I've worked for the Met over here to, although doing office work, didn't really want to go backout in the field after been a copper in SA..Training over here is pretty easy compared to SA..Are you going to go for any Firearms..? Anyway best of luck, and hope training goes well, we need good young fresh blood in our services...:thumb:

In my blood? I've been doing the job for 2 years already!

I'm a nice guy though, I don't scream you're not my mate at people! Citizen focus :nod:

So are you in the police at the moment then?

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
In my blood? I've been doing the job for 2 years already!

I'm a nice guy though, I don't scream you're not my mate at people! Citizen focus :nod:

So are you in the police at the moment then?

Whoops, didn't realise you ha been dioing it for a while..No i'm not anymore..I wanted to join the met, but was a bit apprehensive about going from a well armed South African police man to a none armed UK police man. Plus I have Glaucoma in my eyes so would never have passed any tests back then.But saying thatchecking the reqs for a PCSO the other dya I could make it that way..Anyway at 38 I think i'm a bit past it now..Best leave it to the young guns...

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Whoops, didn't realise you ha been dioing it for a while..No i'm not anymore..I wanted to join the met, but was a bit apprehensive about going from a well armed South African police man to a none armed UK police man. Plus I have Glaucoma in my eyes so would never have passed any tests back then.But saying thatchecking the reqs for a PCSO the other dya I could make it that way..Anyway at 38 I think i'm a bit past it now..Best leave it to the young guns...

One of our specials is 47 and looking to join the regs.

He's one of our better guys too!

You could always go into firearms after your probation :D

Reaction score
So how long Chris from finishing Uni to starting full time training?
Do your 2 years probation & then go for accelerated promotion.

Reaction score
feckit said:
So how long Chris from finishing Uni to starting full time training?
Do your 2 years probation & then go for accelerated promotion.

Technically, a couple of days.

In reality, I handed in my last assignment last week - so a month or so.

Can't wait!

I'm still waiting on my firm offer of employment in the post, although I've been told verbally that I start July.

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
A marksman with glaucoma :eek:

And whats so wrong with that..? I might have one eye, but it makes mea bettr shot thatn most 2 eyed people will ever be..Think about ti...:mad:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
The hospital is just a couple of streets down from the Uni, we have the emergency helicopters flying in & out above us quite often. I know it's been a few years now, & I know personally (obviously) what a fantastic & incredible Job they do. But whenever I hear or see one I flashback & I'm right back in there, with my back broken, flying in through the storm, & all the pain & the fear. They say you forget pain after a while. Must be a bloody long while cos I haven't got there yet.
So, while my brain knows just how lucky we are to have them & just how much at risk they put themselves to do what they do. A part of me still cringes like a kiddie in a nightmare whenever I see one.
It always seems to me awfully rough on the guys who work on those helecopters. I wonder if they ever get the appreciation they deserve from the people they help, when for many of us it will always be tinged with horror.

Ask a Question