Zone Alarm,new policy or what ?

Mad Max

Greetings All,
First, does anyone know of an easy to use firewall that is free ?
I had the free Zone Alarm, but after accepting its update today and finding
that to refuse their offer of a free popup stopper------It's a long sad
story and not pretty. At any rate I am looking for a new free firewall.
Right now I'm using XPs built in and holding my breath. Also , can anyone
shed any light on this new policy by Zone Alarm. Are they getting out of the
free firewall business, or what?
Why did I not accept their popup stopper ? Two reasons. First I just got the
Google toolbar and it has one of its own and I didn't want any conflicts.
Second , it seemed to me that ZA tried to make it as difficult as possible
on anyone that refused their " kind " offer. I spent about an hour searching
for and unloading all traces of ZA from my system. ( maybe I was
successful ).
Until today I had never had a problem with ZA and it did as advertised. But
not today! So , does anyone know of a good free firewall ?

Albert Sims

Mad said:
[...]

I downloaded their update last night when prompted for it, I saw nothing
about "pop-up stoppers"...all it was was the update...

Paul Mars

After reboot a ZA screen popup said to get the new pop-up stopper for 15
days free, download ZA pro

Mad Max

Albert,
I only received this notification late this afternoon. Hadn't been online
today ,until then. I was suspicious , and ran Ad-Aware and AVG and found
nothing. Since you didn't have that same experience , maybe I should get an
online scan and see if anything turns up. Yours was the kind of reply I was
looking for, someone that had the same problem , or didn't. Only time will
tell but I'm sure if it is something about ZA , I won't be the last to
notice it.
Like I said, until today Zone Alarm has been fantastic. Maybe I'll try again
in a few days and see if I get the same crapola. Anything is possible.
Then again, maybe this is a special offer for Okies.

Mad Max

Jim Macklin

You don't have to buy anything to run ZA Basic (free).
Ijust downloaded and install the latest version. You are
offered the "opportunity" to spend some money but it isn't
necessary.

Just read the directions.

message | Albert,
| I only received this notification late this afternoon.
Hadn't been online
| today ,until then. I was suspicious , and ran Ad-Aware and
AVG and found
| nothing. Since you didn't have that same experience ,
maybe I should get an
| online scan and see if anything turns up. Yours was the
kind of reply I was
| looking for, someone that had the same problem , or
didn't. Only time will
| tell but I'm sure if it is something about ZA , I won't be
the last to
| notice it.
| Like I said, until today Zone Alarm has been fantastic.
Maybe I'll try again
| in a few days and see if I get the same crapola. Anything
is possible.
| Then again, maybe this is a special offer for Okies.
|
| Mad Max

message
| | > Mad Max wrote:
| > > Greetings All,
| > > First, does anyone know of an easy to use firewall
that is free ?
| > > I had the free Zone Alarm, but after accepting its
update today and
| finding
| > > that to refuse their offer of a free popup
stopper------It's a long sad
| > > story and not pretty. At any rate I am looking for a
new free firewall.
| > > Right now I'm using XPs built in and holding my
breath. Also , can
| anyone
| > > shed any light on this new policy by Zone Alarm. Are
they getting out of
| the
| > > free firewall business, or what?
| > > Why did I not accept their popup stopper ? Two
reasons. First I just got
| the
| > > Google toolbar and it has one of its own and I didn't
want any
| conflicts.
| > > Second , it seemed to me that ZA tried to make it as
difficult as
| possible
| > > on anyone that refused their " kind " offer. I spent
about an hour
| searching
| > > for and unloading all traces of ZA from my system. (
maybe I was
| > > successful ).
| > > Until today I had never had a problem with ZA and it
did as advertised.
| But
| > > not today! So , does anyone know of a good free
firewall ?

| > I downloaded their update last night when prompted for
it, I saw nothing
| > about "pop-up stoppers"...all it was was the update...
| >
| > --
| > Albert Sims
| > West Monroe,Louisiana

Mad Max

Dingo,
Thanks for the info. Just downloaded another program, but added Kerio to my
favorites files, just in case. Never hurts to be ahead of the game. Anyway ,
maybe I'm a belt and suspenders guy.

Mad Max

Mad Max

Jim Macklin,
We must have misunderstood each other. Didn't say it wasn't free. When you
refuse their offer for the "free "popup stopper , they take punitive
actions. First the firewall is removed from both system tray and desktop and
you have to go hunting for it in order to make it activate. Of course as
usual there are differences in the experience people have and that was mine.
I never could get it to activate even after digging it out . Yours must have
worked perfectly and I'm happy for you.

Mad Max

Mad Max

Just thought it best to clarify what I said. This occurred on an update, not
on a new install. And apparently everything works if you accept their offer
for a free popup stopper.

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

I'll believe that one when I see it. I updated 3 systems today with the free
version and had no problems.

What did you do wrong?

Jim Macklin

That did not happen when I refused the Popup or other cost
items. All my icons are still there.

I updated one system and did a clean install on the other,
both did and still do work just fine.

message | Jim Macklin,
| We must have misunderstood each other. Didn't say it
wasn't free. When you
| refuse their offer for the "free "popup stopper , they
take punitive
| actions. First the firewall is removed from both system
tray and desktop and
| you have to go hunting for it in order to make it
activate. Of course as
| usual there are differences in the experience people have
and that was mine.
| I never could get it to activate even after digging it out
.. Yours must have
| worked perfectly and I'm happy for you.
|
| Mad Max

in message
| | > You don't have to buy anything to run ZA Basic (free).
| > Ijust downloaded and install the latest version. You
are
| > offered the "opportunity" to spend some money but it
isn't
| > necessary.
| >
| > Just read the directions.
| >

| > "Mad Max" <[email protected]>
wrote in
| > message | > | Albert,
| > | I only received this notification late this afternoon.
| > Hadn't been online
| > | today ,until then. I was suspicious , and ran Ad-Aware
and
| > AVG and found
| > | nothing. Since you didn't have that same experience ,
| > maybe I should get an
| > | online scan and see if anything turns up. Yours was
the
| > kind of reply I was
| > | looking for, someone that had the same problem , or
| > didn't. Only time will
| > | tell but I'm sure if it is something about ZA , I
won't be
| > the last to
| > | notice it.
| > | Like I said, until today Zone Alarm has been
fantastic.
| > Maybe I'll try again
| > | in a few days and see if I get the same crapola.
Anything
| > is possible.
| > | Then again, maybe this is a special offer for Okies.
| > |
| > | Mad Max
| > |
(
| > maybe I was
it
| > did as advertised.
| > | But
| > firewall ?

for
| > it, I saw nothing
update...

| > |
| > |

Mad Max

Crusty,
If I knew the answer to your question I would have fixed it and wouldn't
have posted. You're right, I must have done something wrong. Easier to agree
with you than get into a world class argument . At any rate I'm using
another firewall now and the matter should be behind us, wouldn't you say ?
Either that or I accept your challenge. My choice of weapons is spitballs at
fifty paces. On the moor at dawn. Be there or be square.

Mad Max

Shane

I'd say Sygate or Kerio. I've been using Kerio for a long time now on 3
systems, preferring it to Sygate. The reason I'm responding now though - is
the new builds of Kerio PF (the 4.x.x series) are rather different to the
previous (2.1.5) - and not to the taste of (probably all) long term Kerio
users. However, if you're not ready for making your own firewall rules, you
might prefer the current offering but I recommend finding 2.1.5 while it's
still no doubt widely available, just in case you end up wanting control not
apparent in the current builds.

Shane

Sunny

"Mad Max" > wrote in message
Just thought it best to clarify what I said. This occurred on an update, not
on a new install. And apparently everything works if you accept their offer
for a free popup stopper.

"Mad Max" > wrote in message

Interesting thread, Your original was OK and didn't need "clarifying".
Good price that "free Zone Alarm" :)

Tom Pepper Willett

No problems, here.

Tom
| Jim Macklin,
| We must have misunderstood each other. Didn't say it wasn't free. When you
| refuse their offer for the "free "popup stopper , they take punitive
| actions. First the firewall is removed from both system tray and desktop
and
| you have to go hunting for it in order to make it activate. Of course as
| usual there are differences in the experience people have and that was
mine.
| I never could get it to activate even after digging it out . Yours must
have
| worked perfectly and I'm happy for you.
|
| Mad Max
|

| | > You don't have to buy anything to run ZA Basic (free).
| > Ijust downloaded and install the latest version. You are
| > offered the "opportunity" to spend some money but it isn't
| > necessary.
| >
| > Just read the directions.
| >

| > message | > | Albert,
| > | I only received this notification late this afternoon.
| > Hadn't been online
| > | today ,until then. I was suspicious , and ran Ad-Aware and
| > AVG and found
| > | nothing. Since you didn't have that same experience ,
| > maybe I should get an
| > | online scan and see if anything turns up. Yours was the
| > kind of reply I was
| > | looking for, someone that had the same problem , or
| > didn't. Only time will
| > | tell but I'm sure if it is something about ZA , I won't be
| > the last to
| > | notice it.
| > | Like I said, until today Zone Alarm has been fantastic.
| > Maybe I'll try again
| > | in a few days and see if I get the same crapola. Anything
| > is possible.
| > | Then again, maybe this is a special offer for Okies.
| > |
| > | Mad Max
| > |
| > message
| > that is free ?
| > update today and
| > | finding
| > stopper------It's a long sad
| > new free firewall.
| > breath. Also , can
| > | anyone
| > they getting out of
| > | the
| > reasons. First I just got
| > | the
| > want any
| > | conflicts.
| > difficult as
| > | possible
| > about an hour
| > | searching
| > maybe I was
| > did as advertised.
| > | But
| > firewall ?

| > it, I saw nothing

| > |
| > |

Sy Baxter

Shane wrote about Kerio Personal Firewall:
... but I recommend finding 2.1.5 while
it's still no doubt widely available, just in case you end up wanting
control not apparent in the current builds.

not apparent = free
apparent = pay

Shane

2.1.5 is free. Kerio PF apparently went from being a highly-configurable
free firewall to a dumbed-down version that looks as if intended to compete
with ZA for the newbie 'market'. If your implication is 'you get what you
pay for', well, now you get less than what you got a month or so ago. And a
truly awful interface - though I'll grant that's just my opinion.

Shane

scott

i also downloaded the new ZA update, other than it taking
an extra minute to configure correctedly, all is working
fine. have some patience.