Zip file extraction woes

Hi there, I am a new Vista user (but a longtime Windows user) and have Vista
Home Premium installed on a Gateway desktop I got a week ago.

I have been unable to extract zip files and I have had the same issue crop
up with every different zip file I dowload and attempt to extract as follows:
Internet Explorer goes into a endless loop opening and closing and there is
nothing I can do to break the loop but restart the system.

I am trying to extract illustrator templates and eps files, none of which
are much more than 1 meg in size.

Any ideas?

Thanks. I turned it off and installed a 3rd party compression/extraction tool
and now everything is working fine. A little confused as to why I had to do
that when there supposed to be built-in zip/unzip functionality in Vista, but
all's well that ends well, I guess.
Thanks again.

KristleBawl

I read something somewhere that claimed Vista's built-in .zip support was
limited compared to traditional full-function programs, so I just had an
idea that might apply in your particular case.

Glad it works for you.

KB

"tallpaulvancouver" wrote in message

Mickey Segal

The built-in zip support is much slower than third party zip tools. Also,
by default Vista looks into zip files using its slow zip support, which
creates all sorts of slowing of the system. For example, merely inserting a
flash drive with a 375 MB zip file with 80,000 files can result in a half
hour delay with 100% CPU activity as Vista examines the zip file with its
slow built-in zip support. Smaller zip files, including those on the hard
drive, produce problems that are similar but less severe.

The zip file situation is a big problem for Vista. De-activating it as
described in this thread fixes the problem.