YouTube advice

Reaction score
Is it possible to download and save a video from YouTube?
I need to get the band of the Royal Marines playing Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia at an event I am organising and there is no Wi-Fi there.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Opera Browser has a plug-in named FVD Video Downloader Extension which enables YouTube videos (and others) to be downloaded. You simply open the online video then click on an icon in the taskbar and choose the resolution you want to download in.

I will say though that I've only used this app in Linux Mint but it should work in Windows.

Both Opera and the plug-in are free, I've been using this setup for around six months or so now with good results.

There are other free apps out there but that one's the only one I'm familiar with.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Is it possible to download and save a video from YouTube?
I need to get the band of the Royal Marines playing Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia at an event I am organising and there is no Wi-Fi there.

If you are using FireFox this is one of the best add-ons for your task,

Video DownloadHelper
For instance, if you go to a YouTube page, you'll be able to download the video directly on your file system. It also works with most video sites like DailyMotion, Facebook, Periscope, Vimeo, Twitch, Liveleak, Vine, UStream, Fox, Bloomberg, RAI, France 2-3, Break, Metacafe and thousands others.

Video DownloadHelper supports several types of streamings, making the add-on unique amongst Video downloaders: HTTP, MP2T, F4F, … Whenever a site uses a non-supported streaming technology, Video DownloadHelper is also able to capture directly from the screen and generate a video file out of it.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've also used Video Download Helper in Firefox in the past but found it balked at some videos. Not many but it did turn its nose up at some. This was in Linux Mint.

I don't know of any extensions/applications/plug-ins that work with MS Edge browser, suggest using a few search engines to have a search ;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Reaction score
The Opera Browser has a plug-in named FVD Video Downloader Extension which enables YouTube videos (and others) to be downloaded. You simply open the online video then click on an icon in the taskbar and choose the resolution you want to download in.

I will say though that I've only used this app in Linux Mint but it should work in Windows.

Both Opera and the plug-in are free, I've been using this setup for around six months or so now with good results.

There are other free apps out there but that one's the only one I'm familiar with.

Tried to run it and got this message.

Download from YouTube is disabled!
The Chrome Web Store (i.e. Google) does not allow extensions to download from YouTube.
Therefore we removed this functionality for the Chrome Web Store.

We hope for your understanding. Please do not rate us bad for this reason!

Please advise

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
YouTube restricts who can download videos to prevent copyright theft, but I think you can watch videos offline if you have a YouTube Premium account. You can do a free trial for 30 days, so that might be a good option here.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
From the tubemate downloader site:

Why is music download not supported anymore?
Since the judgement of U.S. Supreme Court regarding VCR (aka. “Betamax case”.) in 1984, the “private copy” has been considered as personal right in many countries. (Read more)
But the decision of U.S. California Court on September 5, 2017 was different. (Read more)
We respect the judgement of U.S. Court, so we have decided to remove the features to download music and protected contents.
We always hope Tubemate is used within the bounds of the law and hope users to understand our decision.

And youtube videodownloader limits youtube video downloads to three minutes and is limited to YouTube, doesn't work with Vimeo, for instance.

Also worth pointing out that YouTube terms limit their videos to streaming and that it is against their terms to use third party software to download their hosted videos.

Also, most downloads are illegal unless you own their copyright.

Sorry to be a damp squib but that's the way it is :(

Ask a Question