Your system has no paging file, or the paging file is too small

John Park

Hi everyone,

I am getting the following error message immediately after logging
onto the system:

Your system has no paging file, or the paging file is too small

This is the 3rd time after a complete system rebuild that I have
received this error message and I have tried the following to fix the
error:

Notes:
a) C is an NTFS volume, D is a FAT32 volume.
b) C has 80GB free, D has 60GB free
c) Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 MB (Intel 865PE chipset)
d) 512MB RAM installed

1. [HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Memory Management] "ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000001
2. The Everyone group and System account have full control to the root
of C
3. I have tried disabling the paging file on C and enabling the paging
file on D. No pagefile.sys file exists on C or D after logging in.
4. Followed the following MS KB articles:

Error Message: Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is
Too Small
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315270

Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too Small" Error
Message After Windows XP Upgrade
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316528
(Inappropriate because my MB has an 865PE chipset)

5. Reapplied SP1a.
6. Set the pagefile to system managed size on C and D
7. Ran a virus scan using McAfee Freescan, NAV 2004, Panda Antivirus
Premium 7 - no viruses found (uninstalled each app before installing
another).
8. Uninstalled all AV apps.
9. Disabled pagefile on all volumes, restarted, enabled the paging
file.
10. Installed XP SP1a integrated over the top of the existing
installation.

None of these steps fixed the error and I was wondering if anyone has
any other suggestions? As you can understand, I am reluctant to format
and reinstall given that this is would be the 4th time and it's
obviously very time consuming.

Many thanks in advance and merry Christmas!

John

John Park

I'm going to format and reinstall again but for future reference does
anyone have any ideas on this issue?

Thanks in advance,

John

I have the same problem. Did you ever get an answer to
this?

Ron

(e-mail address removed) (John Park) wrote in message
[...]

.

rb7683

I just fixed this problem on a clients computer.
Searching USENET didn't help out so I'm posting replies to a couple
articles to help the next SOB.

My problem turned out to be caused by a Software Copy protection
application called PACE. Here is a decent article on it which saved my
rear. http://www.pfarrell.com/prc/pace.html

Apparently after you do any of these things
Replacing your boot drive.
Upgrading your disk drivers.
Installing software with older versions of PACE. This is not limited to
audio applications.
Installing software with incompatible copy protection e.g. Older
versions of ReValver.
Motherboard upgrades.
Installing certain software development tools. e.g. NuMega SoftICE.

you can have any of these problems.

Inaccessable floppy drives. This could also apply to any other device
using IRQ 6.
BSOD on shutdown or startup with "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_ERROR". This is
related to the above.
Spontaneous reboots.
Corrupt registry entries (could be related to spontaneous reboots if
Windows is writing to the registry when this occurs.)
Missing (not zero-byte, but none) paging file (swapfile.)
Inaccessible boot device.

The combination of a missing floppy drive caused by an IRQ conflict,
bad paging file as mentioned in this caused me to home in PACE.

I did the following:
Use Device Manager's "Show Hidden Devices" option and select TPKD.
Disable this device.

And after a reboot my problems were gone. Haven't figured out which of
my applications want this PoS.

Cheers.

Joined
Jan 22, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Tpkd.sys

Just wanted to say thanks.
This sorted the problem for me. Googling TPKD.SYS afterwards showed up a few more pages of info explaining the unneccessary nature of this program.