Your favorite Linux distro' and why?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Only real prob is Gaming, I would just have to keep at least one box with Microsoft on to play games. What can we play on Linux that's new atm? As far as I know, only UT2004, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes Flops you are absolutely correct in your assumption as gaming is a big problem with Linux as of today, but, I think things will change and in very near future we may see many new titles coming up. Linux is very good when it comes to Video quality. With windows it like wearing glasses with fingerprints on them, with Linux it's squeaky clean :D

Since my son is busy with his Xbox I need not worry about gaming so it is easier for me to switch but I will have to ditch some of the software I bought lately including the DVD of Encyclopedia Brittanica, now that is one thing I wish was available for Linux. Its a fantastic educational tool for young and old alike.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Spooks: Most flavours of Linux distros can be downloaded from here: Linux Distros

Each disk (in ISO form) will take about three hours to download on 512 broadband. Mandrake 10 has three disks. You'll then need an ISO software program to convert files and burn or if you use Nero, it can burn ISO's directly to CD.

Alternatively, drop me a PM and for a few quid postage and packing and cost of CD's I'll send you the three disks. It's a free distro so we have no legal problems here. I also have Slackware 9.1 (2 disks) if you're interested.

Reaction score
Well thanks All..

Quad ill let ya know how it goes when i try this (Cough Cough!)... "LINUX".. lol.. Operating system

Flopps and games yes good point i couldnt multiplay on a network with two OS's unless i had the different version's of software.. that could get complicated

Thanks for the Offer too flopps... :)... ill let ya know could you imagine trying to download it on a 56k modem and bieng cut off every two hours... lol... It would be Impossible sir!.... :)
so thanks for the offer .. ill check some CD mags i have first who knows... i may allready have it!!! on an obscure magazine disc ..:)

Ohh ive bookmarked that site too flopps.... Cheers

Well thanks again...

Last edited:
Reaction score
The bootable distro Dyne-Bolic is great, u can put it on almost any machine and be on the internet in minutes, great driver support. Great for trying out linux.

u can save a config file 2 a usb key or ur harddrive and then pass an argument at startup to reveive ur previous config

Reaction score
Spooky Mouse said:
Quad.. that would be a big step... to ditch MS Windows alltogether... but new frontiers and such like...

Question... Would it be possible to have have 2 machines one lynux and the other Windows on a wireless network in the home?

Are there plenty of features with lynux.. there seems so many different versions... but i suppose the same can be said of windows..

One good point is.. MS Windows £ Lots!... Lynux £ Free!

Quad were there any bad points with your trial run of Mandrake 10?

Heya guys.

I don't think it would be all that dificult to have the two machines on a wireless network at home. What really would the difference be between that and an ethernet setup? As for sharing files between the two, I believe the only thing, and I very well could be mistaken, is get SAMBA running on your linux box. You need to tweak the config file a little and unfortunately I forget exactly how. To be honest, I'm stupid when it comes to linux. I have red hat either 7 or 8(don't even know how to check which). So far the only thing I've been able to figure out is how to run Apache and sort of set up samba. But I didn't even get that running correct. SAMBA shows up in my network places under windows, but I get some error... I forget what, I'll have to check.

I get confused with it trying to figure out where linux installs programs and etc. To be honest, the things with linux I get confused about could fill a book.

Cheers

Reaction score
plenty to read @ http://distrowatch.com/ :)

personally I like debian as I use it as a webserver box and it's very conservative in terms of adding the latest and greatest stuff,,. if you want cutting edge and all the latest hardware supported take a look @ gentoo :)

Sil

Reaction score
Currently running SimplyMepis 3.3, mainly because users find it easier to work with. Xandros is another neat distro if you need to work with Windows as well, it has good networking facilities. In addition to that we have run the following distros at one time or another.

Red Hat 7/8/9 - Used for a server, OK but file permissions was a pain.
Fedora - Didn't really take to this one.
Mandrake 9/10 - Nice distro
Suse 8/9 - Great with a Novell server. Yast is good too.
Kurumin - Brazilian distro based on Debian. This one is currently running on the proxy and is my favourite. Fast, small and easy.....if you understand Portuguese

Reaction score
I have tried almost all linux distros and I liked ubuntu the best. I like ubuntu because it has the easy packages of debian and is even easyer than mandrivia.

ratings
1 Ubuntu
2 DSL
3 Xubuntu
4 Slax
5 Mandrivia
6 SuSE
7 Debian
8 Pentoo
9 Solaris
10 Kubuntu
11-? many more

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Spooks: Most flavours of Linux distros can be downloaded from here: Linux Distros

Each disk (in ISO form) will take about three hours to download on 512 broadband. Mandrake 10 has three disks. You'll then need an ISO software program to convert files and burn or if you use Nero, it can burn ISO's directly to CD.

Alternatively, drop me a PM and for a few quid postage and packing and cost of CD's I'll send you the three disks. It's a free distro so we have no legal problems here. I also have Slackware 9.1 (2 disks) if you're interested.

Cable internet or higher is a preferable speed for downloading linux for one reason you need the bandwidth to download all the disks at a exceeptable speed.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ID10T said:
Cable internet or higher is a preferable speed for downloading linux for one reason you need the bandwidth to download all the disks at a exceeptable speed.

Depends on what you mean by acceptable.

I still have that same 512 download speed, same supplier, same service, true unlimited bandwidth.

I just download distros overnight, no probs.

Ask a Question