Yester year Insanely dangerous toys

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I had a Chemistry Set when I was a kid and I created all sorts of noxious liquids and gases.

I well remember creating Hydrogen from sulphuric acid mixed with magnesium, bubbling the gas through water and collecting it in a vessel. Then I would apply a light and "pop" the gas. All this done in the kitchen with no supervision. :eek:

Lots of other nasties too including playing about with mercury nicked from school.

Makes me cringe now. :)

Reaction score
Because todays PC society is so protective of children & so worried of being sued that nothing that is dangerous or toxic is put in to these sets anymore. Half those toys listed I had or friends did.

Today little Jonny or Tabitha are covered in cotton wool until they are 18 and enter the real world.

And to think one of my friends celebrated his 18th being on stag in the Falklands in 1982, not happen these days!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Even Meccano sets were iffy, sharp metal edges and all.

I recall a tin friction powered toy aeroplane I had, you pulled it along the ground and a lead pulley wheel ran for a while propelling it. One day I decided to 'wind it up' on the palm of my hand. I didn't notice the serrated sprocket poking out the bottom so as I pulled the toy plane back I gashed the inside of the base of my thumb, claret all over the show. I ended up in Casualty (A & E) but they didn't give me stitches and to this day I still have the scar and can't bend my right thumb back as far as the left one.

Those were the days eh? The good old days doncha know, youngsters these days are too soft (contd. Page 45)

Another little gem I played with was the Jetex which was in fact a jet engine. This was a cylinder looking rather like half a cigar tube with a screw cap on one and a tiny hole in the other. You would insert a length of flammable fuse through the pin hole then coil it round a few times inside. Then you'd put in two snug fitting pellets and screw the cap on.

This contraption was then affixed to a model car or tank or anything toy size on wheels and placed along a piece of string that acted as a guide wire about 20 or 30 metres long. Then you'd light the fuse with a match or lighter and the thing would blast off, probably reaching speeds of 30mph which for something 6 to 8" long is very fast. It also spouted a lot of blue smoke on it's travel.

At the end of it's journey the jet cylinder would literally be glowing red hot and stayed hot enough to burn skin for at least ten minutes.

Of course kids being kids, some hardier, inventive or stupid individuals would experiment with their Jetex which led, so I'm told, to attempts to send insects into space, exploding cylinders and in one notable instance a broken window.

Happy days :)

Ask a Question