Windows XP xp takes forever to shutdown/restart

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
hI,

How come when i try to rstart or shut down my computer. Windows xp home edition. It takes forever?? i rarely shut down the system due to crunching but sometimes i need to restart for programs etc... so does anyone know why??

thanks in advance
chelseafc2005

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
hI,

How come when i try to rstart or shut down my computer. Windows xp home edition. It takes forever?? i rarely shut down the system due to crunching but sometimes i need to restart for programs etc... so does anyone know why??

thanks in advance
chelseafc2005
Flick the power switch of ... :p

f it appears that Win XP is not shutting down, give it some time. Some users report a minute or longer for shutdown to visibly start. Generally, this is a consequence of software that is running when shutdown is attempted. It also may have something to do with particular hardware. If you experience this problem, be sure to close all running programs before attempting shutdown and see if this solves your problem. If so, then you can determine, by trial and error, which program(s) are involved.

The Gear Software Security Service (GEARSEC.EXE), which enables iTunes for Windows to read and burn CDs, has been reported by many users to cause Windows XP to hang at the “Windows is shutting down” screen for as long as 20-30 seconds. WORK-AROUND: Stop the service prior to shutdown. One way to to this (suggested by “Thornburgh”) is to create a batch file with the one line net stop gearsecurity. You can either launch this batch file manually, or (in Win XP Professional) use GPEDIT.MSC) to specify this batch file as the shutdown script (under Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Scripts | Shutdown).

Bookmark this page ... ;)
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

:cool:

Reaction score
Could be a number of things casuing it to be slow at shutting down and starting up.

My machine, when it was first installed, took no time at all to startup/shutdown.
The more things that are installed/uninstalled the more it will bog the machine down.
Services starting and stopping can take time aswell.

Reaction score
Start Again

In my experience if you have pressed CTRL/ALT/DEL and Task Manager keeps telling you that applications are not responding it is time that you thought of a complete XP re-Install.
I know it is painful but I do this at least once a year.

Reaction score
I should also have said. Goto Control Panel - Administrative tools- Event Viewer. This will list your hangups. Click on one and sometimes it will even direct you to a Microsoft solution

Ask a Question