xp system restore failure please help

paul_johnson

Hi guys, i purchased an external hard drive and moved some important
video and photo files onto it, it must have a fault as when i try to
access it the message the drive is not formatted do you want to format
now appears, i have tried both firewire and usb but the drive cannott
be accessed, before i return it as i have only had it a week , i need
to retreive the files that were on it, i tried to system restore on xp
hoping that the files would re appear on my c drive but system restore
goes through the motions then says system restore incomplete no changes
have been made to your computer, i have checked that it is enabled but
dont know how to recover my files from this drive or restore via sys
restore pleas can u help
thanks
paul

Patrick Keenan

paul_johnson said:
Hi guys, i purchased an external hard drive and moved some important
video and photo files onto it, it must have a fault as when i try to
access it the message the drive is not formatted do you want to format
now appears, i have tried both firewire and usb but the drive cannott
be accessed, before i return it as i have only had it a week , i need
to retreive the files that were on it, i tried to system restore on xp
hoping that the files would re appear on my c drive but system restore
goes through the motions then says system restore incomplete no changes
have been made to your computer, i have checked that it is enabled but
dont know how to recover my files from this drive or restore via sys
restore pleas can u help
thanks
paul

System Restore is not the tool for recovering these files.

You want file or data recovery or undelete software, or the use of a
recovery service. The software is inexpensive, data recovery services are
often hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on the amount of data and
the turnaround time required.

With the recovery software, there's often a demo mode so you can see what
*can* be recovered before you actually pay for it. Do not ever install
these utilities or set the recovery location to the same drive you're trying
to fix.

It may be necessary to remove the actual drive from the case it's in and
connect it to your system directly, in case the interface circuitry has
caused the problem. Jumpers will likely need to be adjusted.

If you've been using the system for any length of time after deleting the
files from the C drive, don't be overly optimistic about recovery.

HTH
-pk

paul_johnson

--
paul_johnson-

[...]

Thanks for that, the E drive with the data on has only been ine use a
couple of weeks before going kaput, do you think norton undelete might
be appropriate, I did download a recovery program which showed that
something was recoverable on the E drive It didn't show what it was
though , just an icon, but to recover you then had to pay $60 , I live
in hope!

Bert Kinney

Thanks for that, the E drive with the data on has only been ine use a
couple of weeks before going kaput, do you think norton undelete might
be appropriate, I did download a recovery program which showed that
something was recoverable on the E drive It didn't show what it was
though , just an icon, but to recover you then had to pay $60 , I live
in hope!

Hi,

Try this:
Restoration - a file undelete utility for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

Once the file recovery issue is sorted out, talk a look here.
Here are some troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails to
restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

paul_johnson

Bert said:
--
[...]

resto
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org
Thank you bert, you have given me much to try here, i will let you know
the outcome
regards
Paul

paul_johnson

-
--
Thank you bert, you have given me much to try here, i will let yo
know

You're welcome Paul. Keep us posted.

Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org
Hi Bert, I followed your instructions regarding attatching the drive t
my computer directly and the same problem existed, I also tried it on
friends so at least I know the problem is not with the connections etc
the restoration program you recommended did allow me to recover some o
the many photgraphs I had lost from my c drive, many thanks to you fo
that, but as I am still unable to access the faulty external drive
think my only option will be to pay for some sofware recovery progra
as looking at a demo they seem to be able to access the drive wit
ease, does anyone out ther know of any freeware recovery programs as
am reluctant to pay more than the faulty external drive cost me just t
recover data from it, maybe I am just tight! thanks to all who replied.
Pau

Bert Kinney

Hi Bert, I followed your instructions regarding attatching the drive to
my computer directly and the same problem existed, I also tried it on a
friends so at least I know the problem is not with the connections etc,
the restoration program you recommended did allow me to recover some of
the many photgraphs I had lost from my c drive, many thanks to you for
that, but as I am still unable to access the faulty external drive I
think my only option will be to pay for some sofware recovery program
as looking at a demo they seem to be able to access the drive with
ease, does anyone out ther know of any freeware recovery programs as I
am reluctant to pay more than the faulty external drive cost me just to
recover data from it, maybe I am just tight! thanks to all who replied.
Paul

Maybe these will help.
Data Recovery Service at DriveSolutions.com
http://www.drivesolutions.com/datarecovery/index.shtml

DIY DataRecovery - Do It Yourself Data Recovery, Partition Recovery and Harddisk
repair
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/

Recovering Deleted Files
http://aumha.org/a/recover.php