XP sysprepped image not booting

Phillip Fox

I have created a sysprep.inf with the appropriate lines to build the
[SysprepMassStorage] section. I have verified that Sysprep is actually
building the lines into the .inf, and using the -bmsd switch, I have
verified that the Intel 850 chipset is indeed listed in the machine.inf (by
grabbing the hardware id from the 850.inf and verifying it's existence
in the sysprep.inf). However, the sysprepped image will not boot on an
intel Pentium 4 850 chipset - it is definitely hanging on the mass
storage device. Being that Microsoft included the driver for the 850
chipset (which was originally built for 98SE, but quickly adapted to
2000) in the cab files for Windows XP, shouldn't the .inf sysprep?

Anybody else have suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Scott McArthur [MSFT]

Phillip,

One other item you should check. When you have a sysprep image that hangs
many times it is due to a mismatch in the hal. IE the HAL type for the
source machine is different than the target machine. To ensure this is not
the issue you should do a normal install on that target machine and see
what HAL type setup installs and compare the HAL type of the machine used
for the source.

Scott McArthur[MS]
Microsoft Windows Server Setup Support