Windows XP Xp Sp2

Reaction score
I was going to write a bit about WIndows XP Service Pack 2 but then i found this site winsupersite, which kinda shows everything there is to SP2.

The general feeling on the forums is that the service pack is worth installing now, even though it's still beta, i would personally question this because even though there seems to be relatively few bugs for a service pack, (compared to SP1), and sp2 is supposably alot more secure than XP with just sp1, some bugs are still present and some do not come with a free fix.

for example a bug that i found on installation is that the contents of network connections vanished, there appears to be no fix for this as yet (if any one finds one, mail me NOW!), i did find a fix regarding registering DLLs but this had no effect!!!

i installed sp2 on another machine and it was fine apart from one bug which prevented me from viewing the firewall settings, this was resolved with a quick search on google, since then my machine hasn't suffered for having sp2 installed and have had performance issues (YET!!!),

My advice would be that if you use a dialup connection (it's a whopping 270MB at last count) or enjoy finding fix's (as i do) then just make sure you download all the latest critial updates for XP SP1 and hang on for the final release of service pack 2 + a couple of months.

By the way if anyone has installed SP2 and is experiencing problems try visiting the Microsoft newsgroup on this subject it's quite helpful, failing that GOOGLE IT!

:eek: <- best smiley ever!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the great service it will be very helpful to many. I use the laptop in the office to connect to the network and if the problem crops up I will have to redo all of it agian. I will wait till the final version comes out. My laptop at the moment is fully updated and have no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for the tips!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I installed it on one machine as I was going to replace the hard drive and do a fresh install.

All I noticed was a very agressive stance constantly reminding you to update regularly and that annoying Firewall Window being permanently enabled, though I did notice after a while there were options to disable it.

I didn't actually check my Network, so don't know if what Techy mentions applied to me.

I will certainly wait for the finished product, and I'm not even sure if I'll install it then. It didn't detect Grisoft AVG Anti-Virus software, btw, but I do like the idea of a stronger firewall and no pop-ups on IE.

Oh, and when I went to play Call Of Duty online, I had to agree to open the port to play. Microsoft have certainly gone out their way to protect people from all those worms and stuff, but it is a little annoying if you've already taken safeguards against viruses and update from Microsoft regularly.

Undecided :)

Reaction score
floppy,

i think sp2 is mainly designed to protect the less adventurous of computer users, alas minimum effort maximum security, well, thats' the idea i think anyway!

about AVG not being recognised as av software it also doesn't recognise norton.

are microsoft due to release anti virus software???

this doesn't pose too much of a problem as you can tell windows that you do have av software installed.

i assume that microsoft will take the same line with the anti virus software as they have done with driver signing, pay us a load of cash and we'll acknowledge your softtware!

bit of a con, but hey, what do you expect?

oh yeah a tip for those that have installed sp2 and wish they hadn't, i've found that system restore works a treat to put things back to normal! thought it may have probs, but appears not.

Regards

James

Reaction score
in regards to xp2 recognising av software i think this may be added at the final release. the below link shows all the av software that is recommended by microsoft, the support for these apps obviously just not added to sp2 yet!

Microsoft Anti-Virus Partners

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for that link Techy, interesting.

Several omissions, I notice, but early days yet, and I notice they don't mention Grisoft's software is free to personal users. Hmm.

Ask a Question