XP SP1 Available for Download (Finally)

Reaction score
Microsoft officially made SP1 available for download on their Windows XP site today. There are two flavours available, the express one, and the network install.

Most users will opt for the express install as it's also the one that's been posted on Windows Update. The leaked final that we talked about last week and linked to is actually the network install, coming in at 134 megs, which nobody really needs. The express version comes in at a "mere" 30 megs, which isn't too bad considering all the fixes that are in here.

Download it now so we can stop talking about it already and get it over with. If it borks your machine, just add a comment to this thread.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
lol! It took me over eight hours to download 133MB a coupla days ago and now it's officially released I learn I only need 30MB?

Hehe.... and, guess what? I haven't even installed it yet (hysterical, crazed laughter reverberates around Chez Flops) :crazy:

I read there may be an issue with the HPT 372 RAID driver, to whit, there isn't one within the SP1 service pack, so I just have to make sure I have the latest one from Highpoint handy first. I'm sure I have that one installed actually, just have to check...

Reaction score
Lucky for me I don't use RAID and all the problems associated with it. Sure it has advantages, but support is still lacking in some areas.

I saw an update for SP1 already on Windows Update today. Some kind of security thing (not a patch, but something about better security information). You know how well Microsoft likes to inform you of what you're downloading. :roll:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
There seems to be two Service Packs :confused: one for Windows & one for Internet Explorer ... downloading IESP1 as we speak ... only DL 11.5 MB for this computer out of a possible 75MB.

This is the "evaluation" computer I'm testing. ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
NO PROBLEMS

:D

Attachments

• iesp1.jpg
    iesp1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 277
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard there was a SP1 for IE, but I think the pre-release 134m one included that as well, because mine is updated. In the about box, it says:

"6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.-----------"
and under Update Versions it says: "SP1"

So it must have updated it as well.

Ask a Question