Windows XP XP-search companion-does not find filez when searching by content

Reaction score
Please help.

I am running Win XP SP2. Using the Search Companion, that comes up when you select "Search for Files and Folders" from the Start menu, I have the following reproducible problem:

(1)I create a .txt file with known words in it. I save that file in a folder (I have tried saving such files in a variety of folders - the Desktop, My Documents, a random folder on the home (C:) drive, etc.

(2)I use Search Companion and attempt to find the file by searching for the text I have just typed and saved in the .txt document.

Even if I navigate to the precise folder in which I have saved the .txt file and restrict the search to that folder, Search Companion does not find the file containing the text.

I have tried this on 3 different machines with the same disappointing results.

Is there a place where Search Companion is documented, so I can see detailed instructions that may explain why I have been unsuccessful? I have already read the instructions in the Windows help, and they are of no use. In fact, I followed those instructions and they led me to the situation I describe here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My personal email is:

(e-mail address removed) if you care to Cc: me directly to any reply.

Ted Dushane

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Search Companion can only search for files or folders ... not their contents. ;)

Leaving your email address in open view will only succeed in you getting spammed. :)

Reaction score
details on

Dear MuckShifter:

If you literally go to (in XP Prof SP 2)

Start:Search:For Files or Folders, you get to a screen

that allows you to click on:

All Files and Folders.

Please click on it.

There are then three fields at the top of a window called "Search Companion"

(1)All of part of the file name

(2)A word or phrase in the file

(3)Look in, which gives you the option of navigating to any folder by using the command: Browse.

OK. Is the second field a decoy????? Am I nuts to think this means you are supposed to be able to search by entering a word or phrase that appears in the file???

Seems obvious to me. But we are dealing with M$, where even the obvious can be screwed up.

Ted Dushane

P.S.Thanks for the hint on the email. Actually, I haven't been spammed by doing this, but I'll take your word for it.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well knock me down with a feather ... it does work, never tried that before ... mind you, I don't 'loose' my files. :)

Sorry Mr Dushane, but I was quoting what MS "help & support center" was telling me ... never bothered to actually try it out ... :blush:

Can't help you as to why your 'search' does not do the same.

On the note of posting email in forums ... there are things called "email harvesting robots" that can trawl web sites looking for the @ symbol ... it only takes one bad one and you'll need a new email address. The other point of questions an' answers is to let everyone know what the outcome was ... if we used PMs or emails then there would be no point in having a forum. :thumb:

Reaction score
Search Companion - *did* work

I tried it again, with a .txt file, putting in a nonsense word, "53178XYZ," in the document. I placed the text file on the desktop and in a random folder on the C drive.

It found both of them, though it took more than a half an hour to do so.

Which brings me to my other post - third party search alternatives to work in a reasonable amount of time.

Sorry for the false alarm, though - it *does* work as advertised, just slowly.

Ted Dushane

Ask a Question