XP reinstall / c0000415 Unknown Hard Error - ack!!!

G

Morning..

I am having to reinstall XP Pro. This is because I STUPIDLY (is it a word?) decided to dualboot my machine with 2000 server. After that mishap, I was no longer able to boot into XP. I removed the slave drive that contained the 2000 server. I booted to the XP CD, and ran fixboot and fixmbr. There was still no luck.

I had no choice but to reinstall XP Pro.

The install didnt seem to work. As it was going through the setup, it started to reboot. I finally got it to finish... so I thought

But now when it boots up it hangs after the windows XP graphic, and then reboots.... goes to the XP graphic, and then reboots... over and over. It started doing this during the reinstall.

I get into safe mode and it seems that it is the graphics card that is causing the the issue. The card is not new, and is the one that was in the machine prior to all of this mess.

When I boot to normal mode I get this - c0000415 Unknown Hard Erro

I am about to pull my hair out. Should I just go ahead, grab an extra drive, set it up as the master drive, install a fresh copy of XP pro and try to move on from there??

G

removed and reinstalled drivers for ATI Radeon display driver, in safe mode. Rebooted and went in to normal mode. XP stated that it recovered from a critical hardware error and then the disply was set at 16 colors... my guess is it was the display driver once again

Continued to boot up, and reinstalled the drivers off of the CD that came with the graphics card - mind you this all used to work flawlessly together.

It came back with the same old hard error, as stated in my original post above

help???

X

XPUSER

jeepgirl said:
Morning...

I am having to reinstall XP Pro. This is because I STUPIDLY (is it a word?) decided to dualboot my machine with 2000 server. After that mishap, I was no longer able to boot into XP. I removed the slave drive that contained the 2000 server. I booted to the XP CD, and ran fixboot and fixmbr. There was still no luck.

I had no choice but to reinstall XP Pro.

The install didnt seem to work. As it was going through the setup, it started to reboot. I finally got it to finish... so I thought.

But now when it boots up it hangs after the windows XP graphic, and then reboots.... goes to the XP graphic, and then reboots... over and over. It started doing this during the reinstall.

I get into safe mode and it seems that it is the graphics card that is causing the the issue. The card is not new, and is the one that was in the machine prior to all of this mess.

When I boot to normal mode I get this - c0000415 Unknown Hard Error

I am about to pull my hair out. Should I just go ahead, grab an extra drive, set it up as the master drive, install a fresh copy of XP pro and try to move on from there??
============================================================
"Stop - c0000415" error message when you try to start Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832324&Product=winxp

You need an updated Display Adapter driver!
Try restarting use F8 to get the Advanced Menu screen and try booting to
"Enable VGA Mode"
If that works, then go to the Display Adapter's manufacturer's web site and
download and install the most updated XP driver available.
If "Enable VGA Mode" does not work, then boot to safe mode and either try
"Roll Back Driver" for that Display Adapter or Disable it and then boot up to
Normal mode and get the updated driver and install it and then enable the
Display Adapter again.

P.S. - It might have been helpfull if you would have provided what Display Adapter
you are using.
============================================================

Ask a Question