Windows XP XP - Reducing the data on my C: Hard drive

Reaction score
I've used; Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs, I've moved files from my C hard drive to my Slave drive, and have even delete directly from my C drive (and emptied my Recycle Bin), cleaned and defragged it, but the size of my C drive seems to remain. Of it's 105 GB total area, 101 is consumed with data.

Is there a program available that will look at the entire hard drive and show where the BIG space eating programs are stored. Going through them one at a time is painful, to say the least.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Have you used CCleaner? That will remove quite a lot of unwanted material.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's probably a 120Gb Hard Drive. It's a bit titchy by todays standards, software apps take up a lot more space than they once did.

All the files you're moving or deleting are relatively small and will make little difference to free disk space.

Your best bet is to buy a new hard drive and either transfer the whole contents of your current drive over or use the new drive for all storage. a 500Gb disk is less than £40.00. If you do go for this option you will need some software to make the transfer, there's probably a freebie to do it but not sure.

And as mentioned previously Crap Cleaner, available from a site named File Hippo, will clear the most disk space for you, it's very good. And safe, in my experience.

Ask a Question