XP pro start menu folders - where are my shortcuts?

Chris

I'm trying to rearrange my start menu but when I explore
the 'programs' folder, either via the taskbar and start
menu route or explorer itself, only a fraction of the
folder and application shortcuts that are listed actually
appear in the folder. Playing with viewing options
doesn't help. Incidentally, the same thing happens when I
view the desktop folder, despite the fact that I know
I've downloaded stuff to it, and it appears in searches.

Carrie Garth

| "Chris" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | I'm trying to rearrange my start menu but when I explore
| the 'programs' folder, either via the taskbar and start
| menu route or explorer itself, only a fraction of the
| folder and application shortcuts that are listed actually
| appear in the folder. Playing with viewing options
| doesn't help. Incidentally, the same thing happens when I
| view the desktop folder, despite the fact that I know
| I've downloaded stuff to it, and it appears in searches.

Perhaps the "application shortcuts" and "stuff" can be
found in the All Users profile folders in addition to your
own personal profile folders. Try opening both folders
in separate instances of Windows Explorer, placing the
windows side-by-side, and viewing what you've got to
figure out where they are located.

To quickly open the folders click Start, click Run, type the
following command and click OK:

For the Start Menu folders type these commands:

Shell:programs

Shell:Common Programs

For the Desktop folders type these commands. And
for the All Users profile, after the folder opens
double-click Desktop:

%USERPROFILE%\Desktop

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%