XP Pro as a file server OS

G

Hi,
I am investigating the possibility of using XP Pro as the OS for a file server using a SATA raid controller and 8 SATA 160Gig drives. I am a bit concerned that there is a limitation with XP Pro that I can only have 10 simultaneous file sharing connections. Does this mean only 10 people will be able to access the file server at any one time?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Correct. If you require more than 10 connections, then you need
Windows Server 2003.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hi,
| I am investigating the possibility of using XP Pro as the OS for a file server using a SATA raid controller
and 8 SATA 160Gig drives. I am a bit concerned that there is a limitation with XP Pro that I can only have 10
simultaneous file sharing connections. Does this mean only 10 people will be able to access the file server
at any one time?

R

Rob Schneider

10 is the limit on XP Pro. It's not intended to be a server.

Use Windows Server, or Linux, or other, as the OS for your file server.

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

G

Thanks for the info guys. I was keen to use the network bridging fuction of XP to have multiple network cards. Does MS server support network bridging?

R

Rob Schneider

Best to read up on this in the server documentation,which I believe is
freely available on Microsoft's web site. Also, if necessary, discuss
this on the newsgroup dedicated to the Server products.

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

Ask a Question