XP Power Schemes not holding

Hi
I have 26 machines on a network (server2003). Machines are all PIV with XP
SP2. Students have mandatory profiles and staff/teachers have roaming
profiles. As an administrator, I have changed the Power Scheme settings to
Always ON and set the montor and hard disk to be Always On and disabled
hibernation. These settings are not holding, even for the administrator.

Since the students with the mandatory profiles do not have ability to change
any settings on the local machine I cannot change their profile from user.man
to user.dat on the server then log in to a workstation and alter these
settings. Is there a way to get around this? Is there a registry setting that
will override for all users?

We have a mandatory screen saver that comes on after about 10 minutes, and
requires password if a user is logged on. This is fine, but the hard
disk/monitor keep turning off after about 20 minutes. This is frustrating to
turn back on again for young kids.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Laurie,
Power setting are per user, not per machine.
However are the users all administrators?
Last logged on administrator should control the power settings.
So if they are administrators they can change the power settings.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?bGF1cmllX2c=?=" <[email protected]>
<Subject: XP Power Schemes not holding
<Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:41:28 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage
<
[...]

Hi Darrell
No, the majority of users are students (this is an elementary school
setting). They have restricted privileges in a mandatory profile. Basically,
they cannot make any changes to the local machine, or if they inadvertently
do like setting a desktop wallpaper, everything is restored during the log
off process.

They do not have access to the Control Panel and cannot access desktop
properties.

I am now assuming that I am going to have to find the setting delegated by
the server that denies the profile access to the desktop and enable it
temporarily. once I've done this I can change the profile from .man to .dat,
log on and make the change, log out and then reset the profile and server
setting. Now I just have to find it! :)

any other suggestions are welcome.

Laurie

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Laurie,
Power setting are per user, not per machine.
However are the users all administrators?
Last logged on administrator should control the power settings.
So if they are administrators they can change the power settings.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?bGF1cmllX2c=?=" <[email protected]>
<Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:41:28 -0800