XP PC's will not Process GPO's

• Thread starter Kenneth Morrissey
  • Start date
K

Kenneth Morrissey

I am able to publish software to my users and they can install it. However when assigning software to computers it looks like all of my XP Pro SP1 PC's are reporting the same error in the event viewer. The software installs without issued on the my 2000 Pro machines.

I have found people reporting this all over the internet and on TechNet. They all seem to have a different fix and none of them work. Anyone have any ideas? Please Help!

My domain controller is Server 2003 Std. Forest and Domain are in Windows 2000 Mixed Mode.

Here is what I pulled from the clients application log:

Event ID: 1030
Source: UserEnv
User: NT Authority/System
Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by the policy engine.

Event ID: 1058
Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=CWD,DC=NAM,DC=CI,DC=ROOT.The file must be present at the location <\\CWD.NAM.CI.ROOT\sysvol\CWD.NAM.CI.ROOT\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (Access is denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

P

Paul Williams [MVP]

Access is denied means just that. Check the permissions on the policies. Generally Auth users can read all, but something could have gone a bit wrong.

Also, have a look at the solutions on www.eventid.net

If you could tell us what you've already tried and didn't work that might help.

K

Kenneth Morrissey

1) The registry entry to "enable DFS"
2) DSFUTIL / PurgeMupCache
3) NIC Binding verified I could access the path andteh file from the client machine.
4) Checked NTFS permissions in AD Users and Computers and in the Filesystem on SYSVOL. Authenticated Users have the neccessary access.
5) Did NOT try the host file stuff it seemed unneccessary as all of my machines are finding each other, DC's processing user GPO's etc... I also didn't consider that a fix just a work around.
6) Checked the Share Permissions on SYSVOL

That's all I can remember at the moment

Access is denied means just that. Check the permissions on the policies. Generally Auth users can read all, but something could have gone a bit wrong.

Also, have a look at the solutions on www.eventid.net

If you could tell us what you've already tried and didn't work that might help.

K

Kenneth Morrissey

And I am NOT using the Group Policy management console!
I am able to publish software to my users and they can install it. However when assigning software to computers it looks like all of my XP Pro SP1 PC's are reporting the same error in the event viewer. The software installs without issued on the my 2000 Pro machines.

I have found people reporting this all over the internet and on TechNet. They all seem to have a different fix and none of them work. Anyone have any ideas? Please Help!

My domain controller is Server 2003 Std. Forest and Domain are in Windows 2000 Mixed Mode.

Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by the policy engine.

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=CWD,DC=NAM,DC=CI,DC=ROOT.The file must be present at the location <\\CWD.NAM.CI.ROOT\sysvol\CWD.NAM.CI.ROOT\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (Access is denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

K

Kenneth Morrissey

The hotfixes available all say the problem was addressed in SP2. Although I have not deployed SP2 yet my machine is running it and has teh same problem.

B

Bobby

Kenneth, I had similar problems and still have usernv errors on startup with some pc's. Some times the policies will process and sometimes they will not. I have tried\ implemented so many different things I am afraid I can't be of much help. I feel your frustration though.
The hotfixes available all say the problem was addressed in SP2. Although I have not deployed SP2 yet my machine is running it and has teh same problem.

Ask a Question