XP Nvidia refresh rate prob

Phil

This is the first game I've run, other than 11th hour and Myst III, on my
machine since I've had XP and the Nvidia driver 4523 on it. I'm running the
game "Dark Fall", and when the screen resolution gets set to the game
resolution of 640x480, my refresh rate goes to a gosh-awful 60 Hz. My DX
override is set for 75 Hz, but that doesn't help. It's been a long time
since I've read of anyone with a refresh rate problem on this NG so if
anyone knows how to correct this, please let me know. What's worse, is that
although I can toggle out of the game temporarily and set my refresh rate
back to 75 for the remainder of the game, when I quit the game, my machine
will return to my original resolution of 1600x1200 resolution but go to 60
Hz again, forcing me to again reset it back to 75 Hz.

Phil

Jimmy S.

Hi Phil,

In you Advanced Display properties, click the GeForce Tab,
next to the Color management tab on the top row, and in the
side bar menu, choose the Performance and Quality, Direct
3D settings, Refresh Rates Override panel. That will allow
you to deselect permission for Applications to control the
refresh rate. Good luck, and I hope this helps! :)

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

| This is the first game I've run, other than 11th hour and Myst III, on my
| machine since I've had XP and the Nvidia driver 4523 on it. I'm running the
| game "Dark Fall", and when the screen resolution gets set to the game
| resolution of 640x480, my refresh rate goes to a gosh-awful 60 Hz. My DX
| override is set for 75 Hz, but that doesn't help. It's been a long time
| since I've read of anyone with a refresh rate problem on this NG so if
| anyone knows how to correct this, please let me know. What's worse, is that
| although I can toggle out of the game temporarily and set my refresh rate
| back to 75 for the remainder of the game, when I quit the game, my machine
| will return to my original resolution of 1600x1200 resolution but go to 60
| Hz again, forcing me to again reset it back to 75 Hz.
|
| Phil

Phil

It appears my settings were already set that way. Hmmm... I don't even
remember setting them but since I've had Nvidia for 3 years now, I must have
done it long ago, right after I installed XP, which was nearly 2 years ago.
I clicked again on "OK", will see what happens'

Phil

I tried it again but the refresh problem still exists. Is there still a
separate program that locks rates with the newer drivers, just like there
used to be for the older ones? Way back, I could lock the rates. It's
surprising that the DX override does nothing.

Jimmy S.

Hi Phil,

I'm not recommending it, however you could experiment with
nVHardPage: http://download.guru3d.com/nvhardpage/ or
some of the other utilities at guru3d.com. Hopefully that helps.

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

| I tried it again but the refresh problem still exists. Is there still a
| separate program that locks rates with the newer drivers, just like there
| used to be for the older ones? Way back, I could lock the rates. It's
| surprising that the DX override does nothing.
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Phil,
| >
| > In you Advanced Display properties, click the GeForce Tab,
| > next to the Color management tab on the top row, and in the
| > side bar menu, choose the Performance and Quality, Direct
| > 3D settings, Refresh Rates Override panel. That will allow
| > you to deselect permission for Applications to control the
| > refresh rate. Good luck, and I hope this helps! :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers,
| > Jimmy S.
| >
| > Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite:
| http://nibblesnbits.tk
| > Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
| > Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| my
| > | machine since I've had XP and the Nvidia driver 4523 on it. I'm running
| the
| > | game "Dark Fall", and when the screen resolution gets set to the game
| > | resolution of 640x480, my refresh rate goes to a gosh-awful 60 Hz. My DX
| > | override is set for 75 Hz, but that doesn't help. It's been a long time
| > | since I've read of anyone with a refresh rate problem on this NG so if
| > | anyone knows how to correct this, please let me know. What's worse, is
| that
| > | although I can toggle out of the game temporarily and set my refresh
| rate
| > | back to 75 for the remainder of the game, when I quit the game, my
| machine
| > | will return to my original resolution of 1600x1200 resolution but go to
| 60
| > | Hz again, forcing me to again reset it back to 75 Hz.
| > |
| > | Phil
| > |
| > |