XP networked computers cannot see one computer

I have a Dell 8400 PC with windows XP SP2, and Microsoft Office Professional.
Ever since Dell installed my new hard drive this August, the third within one
year, the other computers on my home network, also new Dell’s, cannot access
the 8400 on the network. The other computers are a Dell 4700, and a Dell 600M
laptop all with the same software. The 8400 can access and share files on the
4700 and 600M, and can access and use the network printer.
I can also download and upload files to the other computers from the 8400.
The 600M and 4700 can see each other and share files using “My network
Placesâ€, but neither one can see the 8400.
1. We have removed all anti virus software and all spyware programs from all
the computers, and still cannot get the other computers to see the 8400.
2. When in “View Network Connectionsâ€, the 4700 and 600M can see the 8400,
but when I double click I get a message saying I am denied access to the
8400. We have run the network setup wizard about a hundred times with no
results.
3. The subnet mask and default gateways match each other.
4. I have replaced the D-link router.
5. I have replaced all the cables.
6. I have tried to connect directly to the *400 by using the “net useâ€
address and I get a message saying that “the network address cannot be foundâ€.
7. I have had someone from the local computer support here for hours trying
to fix the problem. After many hours and lots of money they said they don’t
know what the problem is.
The network was fine until the new hard drive was installed. I have been in
contact with Dell several times and they worked with me for a few hours then
told me they can’t fix it. They now refuse to even work on the problem when I
call; so much for customer service and warrantees. They say I have to contact
Microsoft and pay to have them fix it “if they canâ€. I don’t think it’s a
Microsoft problem as the computer worked fine until the Dell installer put in
the latest hard drive. Can you please help?
Thanks

Chuck

I have a Dell 8400 PC with windows XP SP2, and Microsoft Office Professional.
Ever since Dell installed my new hard drive this August, the third within one
year, the other computers on my home network, also new Dell’s, cannot access
the 8400 on the network. The other computers are a Dell 4700, and a Dell 600M
laptop all with the same software. The 8400 can access and share files on the
4700 and 600M, and can access and use the network printer.
I can also download and upload files to the other computers from the 8400.
The 600M and 4700 can see each other and share files using “My network
Places”, but neither one can see the 8400.
1. We have removed all anti virus software and all spyware programs from all
the computers, and still cannot get the other computers to see the 8400.
2. When in “View Network Connections”, the 4700 and 600M can see the 8400,
[...]
Microsoft and pay to have them fix it “if they can”. I don’t think it’s a
Microsoft problem as the computer worked fine until the Dell installer put in
the latest hard drive. Can you please help?
Thanks

Antaeus,

One of the most common causes of this problem would be a misconfigured or
overlooked personal firewall, along with antivirus software. There are other
possibilities too. Read this article with an open mind.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html

If no help yet, provide "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" from each
computer, so we can diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked
articles, and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

Robert L [MS-MVP]

make sure no firewall blocking the traffic. Then, ping the Dell 8400 by IP? If you can ping the IP, use net view \\ip to check the status. post back with the result.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
[...]

zoro

Robert said:
[...]

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C63228.628F7FD0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>make sure no firewall blocking the traffic. Then, ping the
Dell 8400 by IP? If you can ping the IP, use net view <A
href="file://\\ip">\\ip</A> to check the status. post back with the
result.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE &amp; CNE<BR>Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN
Troubleshooting on <A
href="http://www.ChicagoTech.net">http://www.ChicagoTech.net</A> <BR>How to
Setup Windows, Network, VPN &amp; Remote Access on <A
href="http://www.HowToNetworking.com">http://www.HowToNetworking.com</A> </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
<DIV>"Antaeus" &lt;<A
href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>&gt;
wrote in message <A
href="have a Dell 8400 PC with windows XP SP2, and Microsoft Office Professional.
<BR>Ever since Dell installed my new hard drive this August, the third within
one <BR>year, the other computers on my home network, also new Dell’s, cannot
access <BR>the 8400 on the network. The other computers are a Dell 4700, and a
Dell 600M <BR>laptop all with the same software. The 8400 can access and share
files on the <BR>4700 and 600M, and can access and use the network
printer.<BR>I can also download and upload files to the other computersfrom
the 8400. <BR>The 600M and 4700 can see each other and share files using “My
network <BR>Placesâ€, but neither one can see the 8400.<BR>1. Wehave removed
all anti virus software and all spyware programs from all <BR>the computers,
and still cannot get the other computers to see the 8400.<BR>2. When in“View
Network Connectionsâ€, the 4700 and 600M can see the 8400, <BR>but when I
double click I get a message saying I am denied access to the <BR>8400.We
have run the network setup wizard about a hundred times with no
<BR>results.<BR>3. The subnet mask and default gateways match each
other.<BR>4. I have replaced the D-link router.<BR>5. I have replaced all the
cables.<BR>6. I have tried to connect directly to the *400 by using the“net
use†<BR>address and I get a message saying that “the network address cannot
be foundâ€.<BR>7. I have had someone from the local computer support here for
hours trying <BR>to fix the problem. After many hours and lots of moneythey
said they don’t <BR>know what the problem is.<BR>The network was fine until
the new hard drive was installed. I have been in <BR>contact with Dell several
times and they worked with me for a few hours then <BR>told me they can’t fix
it. They now refuse to even work on the problem when I <BR>call; so much for
customer service and warrantees. They say I have to contact <BR>Microsoft and
pay to have them fix it “if they canâ€. I don’t think it’s a <BR>Microsoft
problem as the computer worked fine until the Dell installer put in <BR>the
latest hard drive. Can you please help?<BR>Thanks<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

Robert L said:
[...]

I apologize for not being clear. This is a home office network that is having
a problem.
Also in following your instructions I noticed that the 8400 looks different
when I click START, SHUT DOWN. The 8400 gets a Microsoft dialog box that says
windows professional, and I have to choose “shut down†from a dropdown list.
The other computers just give me 3 icons to choose from. Could this be part
of the problem?

Robert L - I set the windows firewall to off on all thee computers. I
disabled all avtivirus protection on all 3 computers, and I still cannot see
the 8400 from the other computers. I can ping the 8400 from the 4700. I typed
“net view \\ip†and received this message from all three computers: “System
error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found.â€

Chuck - . I ran IPCONFIG\\all, see information below, and there is no other
firewall.
I downloaded browstat, and typed > c:\utility\broustat but the window opened
and closed too fast. I then read your article on “Using the pathâ€, and
received the output below.

When I look at the computers on the 4700 in My Network Places, “View
Workgroup Computersâ€, I can see all 3 computers. However when I click on
“Antaeusâ€, the 8400 computer, the error message says “Antaeus is not
accessible.†“You may not have permission to use this network resource.â€
“Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions.†“Access is denied.â€

IPCONFIG/ALL READOUT

C:\Documents and Settings\Antman>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : antaeus
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit
Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-5B-66-77
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 15, 2006
8:26:46
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 22, 2006
8:26:46
AM

Browstat readout
C:\Documents and Settings\Antman>c:\Utility\browstat
Usage: C:\UTILITY\BROWSTAT Command [Options | /HELP]
Where <Command> is one of:

ELECT ( EL) - Force election on remote domain
GETBLIST ( GB) - Get backup list for domain
GETMASTER ( GM) - Get remote Master Browser name (using NetBIOS)
GETPDC ( GP) - Get PDC name (using NetBIOS)
LISTWFW (WFW) - List WFW servers that are actually running browser
STATS (STS) - Dump browser statistics
STATUS (STA) - Display status about a domain
TICKLE (TIC) - Force remote master to stop
VIEW ( VW) - Remote NetServerEnum to a server or domain on transport
DUMPNET ( DN) - Display the list of transports bound to browser

In server (or domain) list displays, the following flags are used:
W=Workstation, S=Server, SQL=SQLServer, PDC=PrimaryDomainController,
BDC=BackupDomainController, TS=TimeSource, AFP=AFPServer, NV=Novell,
MBC=MemberServer, PQ=PrintServer, DL=DialinServer, XN=Xenix,
NT=Windows NT, WFW=WindowsForWorkgroups, MFPN=MS Netware,
SS=StandardServer, PBR=PotentialBrowser, BBR=BackupBrowser,
MBR=MasterBrowser, OSF=OSFServer, VMS=VMSServer, W95=Windows95,
DFS=DistributedFileSystem, CLUS=NTCluster, DCE=IBM DSS

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 15, 2006
8:26:46
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 22, 2006
8:26:46
[...]

and closed too fast. I then read your article on “Using the path”, and
received the output below.

When I look at the computers on the 4700 in My Network Places, “View
Workgroup Computers”, I can see all 3 computers. However when I click on
“Antaeus”, the 8400 computer, the error message says “Antaeus is not

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 15, 2006
8:26:46
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 22, 2006
8:26:46
[...]

Try "browstat status". And please do "Browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" for
3 computers, it will be a lot easier to diagnose the problem when we can compare
the problem computer with the other 2 computers.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html

Also, please type after my replies.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#TopPosting>

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 15, 2006
8:26:46
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 22, 2006
8:26:46
[...]

I am reading all of the information you provided. I will have the
information you requeasted soon.
Thank you for the help,
Antaeus

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 15, 2006
8:26:46
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 22, 2006
8:26:46
[...]

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! You solved a problem that has been
plaguing me for months, and that three so-called “experts†could not. I read
all of the information you linked me to. When I ran browstat on the 4700 one
of the messages was:
“Could not open key in registry, error = 5 Unable to determine build of
browser master: 5 Unable to determine server information for browser
master: 5â€
Your write up said to check the RestrictAnonymus setting in the registry. I
checked the settings in the 8400 and it was set for “1†instead of “0â€. I
followed your instructions and changed the setting to “0â€, and restarted the
8400. It worked; and the three computers can now see each other.
Again thank you for your help. If you are ever in Florida I owe you a dinner.
Antaeus

Chuck

Chuck said:
:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:26:23 -0800, "Antaeus"

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 15, 2006
8:26:46
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 22, 2006
8:26:46
[...]

checked the settings in the 8400 and it was set for “1” instead of “0”. I
followed your instructions and changed the setting to “0”, and restarted the
8400. It worked; and the three computers can now see each other.
Again thank you for your help. If you are ever in Florida I owe you a dinner.
Antaeus

And the winner is - - restrictanonymous!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll put you on my list. Glad I was able to help.