XP Memory usage

Dave

I ma running WinXP on the three computers on my network
and I have noticed one of them is showing 100% CPU usage.

I seems that svchost.exe is running multiple times and
one of them uses any remaining available CPU capability.

I have run Norton Antivirus and Spybot and not problem is
identified. I noticed a post on the net that described
this problem and the answer that was given was that a
virus was present. I downloaded a fix from Norton and
when used it said the virus was not on the computer.

I know svchost can run multiply times but I don't think
it is supposed to use all the CPU capacity.

I did find a copy of svchost in a directly other than
windows/system32

Anyone have any ideas.

Dave

David H. Lipman

1) Download the following two items...

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend signature files.

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
Dowload the signature files (pattern files) by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt186.zip

sysclean.com.

2) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
3) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
4) Using the Trend Sysclean utility, perform a Full Scan of your platform and
clean/delete any infectors found
5) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
6) If you are using WinME or WinXP,Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
7) Reboot your PC.
8) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point
9) Please report back your results

Dave

| I ma running WinXP on the three computers on my network
| and I have noticed one of them is showing 100% CPU usage.
|
| I seems that svchost.exe is running multiple times and
| one of them uses any remaining available CPU capability.
|
| I have run Norton Antivirus and Spybot and not problem is
| identified. I noticed a post on the net that described
| this problem and the answer that was given was that a
| virus was present. I downloaded a fix from Norton and
| when used it said the virus was not on the computer.
|
| I know svchost can run multiply times but I don't think
| it is supposed to use all the CPU capacity.
|
| I did find a copy of svchost in a directly other than
| windows/system32
|
| Anyone have any ideas.
|
| Dave

Dan

It appears that I have the same problem as Dave.

symptoms:

svchost.exe is using anywhere from 30 to 80% of CPU usage.
The approximate memory usage is 22,000K

I have tried the 9 steps(8 steps, plus reporting back) you have

listed, but it did not find any viruses. There were a number of system

files that it was not able to scan however.

NTUSER.DAT": Access is denied.
NTUSER.DAT.LOG": Access is denied.
UsrClass.dat": Access is denied.
UsrClass.dat.LOG": Access is denied.
An error was detected on "C:\System Volume Information\*.*": Access is

denied.
Files in the C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\ folder also get the access is

denied.

I have tried the following other programs:
1. Norton Antivirus 2003 professional version
2. Spybot 1.3 w/updates up to 9/30/04 (it can't find any newer ones)
3. Adaware SE Personal
4. Spyware Doctor
5. SpywareBlaster
6. Spybot SD resident
7. Hijackthis.exe
8. Microtrend online virus check
9. Stinger.exe checker

I am at a total loss.

-Dan

David H. Lipman

I wonder why uPnP would consume that much ?

Dave

> [...]
| > >
| > > Download sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
| > > Dowload the signature files (pattern files) by obtaining the ZIP file.
| > > For example; lpt186.zip
| > >
| > > Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as
| > > sysclean.com.
| > >
| > > 2) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
| > > http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm
| > > 3) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
| > > 4) Using the Trend Sysclean utility, perform a Full Scan of your platform and
| > > clean/delete any infectors found
| > > 5) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
| > > 6) If you are using WinME or WinXP,Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
| > > System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
| > > 7) Reboot your PC.
| > > 8) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |