xp licensing downgradable?

Haus

Hello
Does Dell have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, I would send them back to
Dell and tell them if they can not provide me with a product that I can use
I would find someone that can.

--
Hope This Helps
Haus
chays33 said:
we thought we did, it was through Dell, and when we called about it they
said they didnt put win2k on that model anymore everything we order from
them we had been getting win2k on until now even when we request it.

We currently ordered some pc's that came with xp home edition, but we run win2k pro are the xp licenses downgradable to allow us to put win2k on these machines or will we have to purchase ADDITIONAL win2k licenses and just eat the xp licenses cost?

Gordon

chays said:
We currently ordered some pc's that came with xp home edition, but we run
win2k pro are the xp licenses downgradable to allow us to put win2k on these
machines or will we have to purchase ADDITIONAL win2k licenses and just eat
the xp licenses cost?

Well why didn't you order W2K then instead of XP Home?

Yves Leclerc

NO! Only XP Pro OEM license allows you to downgrade to other versions of
Windows, providing you have a valid license and media for that version.

XP Licenses only work with the version of XP it was delivered with (Home
license works with Home only).

chays said:
We currently ordered some pc's that came with xp home edition, but we run
win2k pro are the xp licenses downgradable to allow us to put win2k on these
machines or will we have to purchase ADDITIONAL win2k licenses and just eat
the xp licenses cost?

we thought we did, it was through Dell, and when we called about it they said they didnt put win2k on that model anymore everything we order from them we had been getting win2k on until now even when we request it.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows XP Home Edition does not have downgrade rights to Windows 2000.
Whoever ordered those new computers should have ordered them with Windows
XP Professional. This was a costly mistake someone in your organization made
by not performing a little research.

System licenses acquired via the OEM channel follow rights granted in the OEM license.
PCs licensed for Windows XP Professional OEM are licensed to use identified previous
versions of Windows Operating System Product(s) in lieu of Windows XP Professional
(Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional, Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0 or
Microsoft® Windows® 98 (Second Edition).

Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/volbrief.mspx
(Downgrade Rights Doc).

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

chays33 said:
we thought we did, it was through Dell, and when we called about it they
said they didnt put win2k on that model anymore everything we order from
them we had been getting win2k on until now even when we request it.

So you ordered W2K from Dell and they didn't tell you that they didn't ship
W2K until you got the machines? Then I should think you are quite within
your rights to withhold the amount of money you will have to pay for
additional W2K licences from Dell.

do you know where I can find something official on that where I can print it out and show not only my boss but to send to dell to see if they can reimburs us some win2k licenses? thanx for your help

Yves Leclerc

You should be able to find this on the End-User License Agreement (EULA) for
XP OEM and/or find more info under Microsoft open license section.

chays33 said:
do you know where I can find something official on that where I can print
it out and show not only my boss but to send to dell to see if they can
reimburs us some win2k licenses? thanx for your help

Wislu Plethora