From: "John Smith" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update
Subject: XP Home and SUS Server...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:58:08 GMT

I have setup a SUS server and all is working well. I can setup Win2K and XP
Pro clients to get their updates from the internal server using gpedit.msc
and wuau.adm but I am having trouble with XP Home. XP Home does not have
gpedit and i'm starting to get the feeling that XP Home will not allow you
to point to an internal SUS server to get updates. Is it true that XP Home
will only go to the windows update website or am I missing something and you
can indeed point it to an internal SUS server?

Lincoln.
---

Lincoln,

Personally I have never tried Windows XP Home with SUS but I don't see why it would not work once we get the registry
settings setup. Automatic Update client (AU) version 2.2 will run on XP Home and the settings to use a SUS server are a
function of AU and not the OS.

Since you have the other systems configured with Gpedit.msc you can export the registry key below from one of these
systems and import it on the XP Home system, this will save you from having to do it manually.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.