error report to microsoft and received a reply stating
this issue could be associated with a video card device
driver. I have updated my driver and my profile seems to
be better but hers still freezes alot. What could be the
problem here.

Also the PC doesn't boot up straight away because it
doesn't detect an operating system. I don't even hear a
POST beep. I need to reboot at least 5 times before it
detects my Operating system. Please help.

Regards, Tim.

M

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

"Post" issues are not XP issues and are indicative of some hardware issue
that needs to be resolved. If you aren't hearing the beep, you should have
the system checked by a qualified technician as whatever is causing one
problem may be the source of your crashes after Windows boots. You need to
resolve that before we can proceed and the information you posted indicates
an issue that should be checked by a technician.

G

Freezes are most often associated with bad drivers or ones that are not up to date. While Microsoft does provide generic drivers that allow minimal functionality for most devices when a device calls for a higher function that isn't permitted by the driver then the systeme "freezes" waiting for something to happen. You have to go to each manufacturers site of all your pieces of hardware and get their XP drivers. An excellent free program that will help you identify all the pieces that go into your system is Everest Home Edition. It even has many links to the driver sites included in the info. There is a handy tool in XP that will help you track down the exact application or device that caused the freeze. Next time it happens reboot and then go into the event viewer found in the administrative tools in the control panel. The two most important logs here are "system" and "application". Double click either one to open the events in the right panel. Now what you will need to look at are the red Xs that correspond to the time of your freeze. Double clicking them will bring up a details window and although most of this will seem jibberish to the beginner there should at least be the name of an application or module that will have caused your freeze. That will put you on the track of what has to be fixed. As for your boot issue go>start\run and type in msconfig and click "ok" now click the boot.ini tab and then click the "check all boot paths" button and see if it detects a bad boot record or boot paths that are corrupt. There will be on screen prompts for you to follow if it does. If prompted to do so "write a new boot record". If this doesn't fix the boot problem then go into your help and support center under the start button and type in "recovery console" and then click the arrow to bring up information on how to get into and use the recovery console. To help speed things up the command you will need to type in is fixmbr . This will write a new master boot record for you. I recommend printing out the instructions on how to access the recovery console so that you will have a guide to the step by step procedures. If you still have problems then e:mail me and I will help in any way I can. Good luck. {:~)

M

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

I don't suppose you could break these up into paragraphs. Even in the web
interface, this post was extremely difficult to read.

Ask a Question