XP Explorer breakdown

Kate

I am on my second HP laptop so this may be an HP issue but I thought I
would ask. The first HP I had XP Home. My explorer would fault fairly
often, especially when I deleted something, or tried to select too many
items. I got XP Pro with the second HP hoping that might somehow do
better. If anything, it's worse. Now Explorer not only closes out but it
just started leaving me with not taskbar. Before I could use Task
manager, run explorer and get it back but no more. I'd appreciate any
suggestions. I hope there is a command to get tat taskbar back.

BTW, yes I did talk to HP when it first happened on the new machine. I
just don't have the patience to go through all the tries only to end up
reformatting anyhow.
Kate

Twayne

I am on my second HP laptop so this may be an HP issue but I thought I
would ask. The first HP I had XP Home. My explorer would fault fairly
often, especially when I deleted something, or tried to select too
many items. I got XP Pro with the second HP hoping that might somehow
do better. If anything, it's worse. Now Explorer not only closes out
but it just started leaving me with not taskbar. Before I could use
Task manager, run explorer and get it back but no more. I'd
appreciate any suggestions. I hope there is a command to get tat
taskbar back.
BTW, yes I did talk to HP when it first happened on the new machine. I
just don't have the patience to go through all the tries only to end
up reformatting anyhow.
Kate

Well, you might as well reformat right now then if you can't be bothered
to speak to the folks that support your computer.

Apparently you (or HP) are installing something that messes up the
system or you have a virus/trojan you keep putting back on each computer
somehow. My take on it anyway.

db.·.. >

well, it is quite odd
because windows is
highly stable.

when it does become
unstable it is usually
due to third party software
or faulty/failing hardware.

another way to see
this is that if windows
was the only thing installed
on your computer (and nothing
else) then it would be
highly unlikely you would
encounter issues.

some things that may
affect the explorer are
indexing, corrupt file
system, antiviral scans,
and virtual memory.

one test would simply be
to boot into safemodes
and see if there windows
performance is better.

another thing you can
try is to do a windows
repair instead of a format
and install:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Kate

db.·.. > said:
[...]

If I can get around to getting Vista installed and running then I will
have the luxury of trying XP for a while between new software installs.
But essentially you have confirmed what I was thinking, that a software
install is the problem. I have so many I put on at once after the
reformat that it's hard to test software by software. Thanks for the help
Kate

Big Al

Kate said:
If I can get around to getting Vista installed and running then I will
have the luxury of trying XP for a while between new software installs.
But essentially you have confirmed what I was thinking, that a software
install is the problem. I have so many I put on at once after the
reformat that it's hard to test software by software. Thanks for the help
Kate
It might be a chore, but there is a huge pool of knowlege here and if
you could list some of the programs you install, someone might be able
to pinpoint possible suspects.

If its a 3rd party program and you get Vista, my bet is you'll be back
in the same boat again one day if you don't figure it out.

Kate

Big said:
It might be a chore, but there is a huge pool of knowlege here and if
you could list some of the programs you install, someone might be able
to pinpoint possible suspects.

If its a 3rd party program and you get Vista, my bet is you'll be back
in the same boat again one day if you don't figure it out.
That would be great. Here's a few:
IncrediMail, Firefox, PaintShopPro, Avast!, SecondCopy, WinRAR, MS
Office 2003, RoboForm, Quicken, iTunes
That's some of the main ones at least
Kate

Gerry

MS MVP! Anyone can be a MVP!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Big Al

That would be great. Here's a few:
IncrediMail, Firefox, PaintShopPro, Avast!, SecondCopy, WinRAR, MS
Office 2003, RoboForm, Quicken, iTunes
That's some of the main ones at least
Kate

Not sure what Secondcopy is (I will research it later for sure). But
the others are valid products. I got Itunes on my pc once since my
daughter wanted to try it for her Ipod. I had the worst time with it.
Hated it! But that's me. I can only guess how many people have it
with no issue. It just seemed to be everywhere on my machine.

Then again it might not be the programs you state but what you do with
them. I can use a good program like Firefox to download garbage file
and install them. And avast may not see them as trojans. So it may
not be your software but what you do with them.

This is a tough thing to fix. I'm not pounding on you personally, this
is a society thing. If life were right, you could chuck Avast and go
anywhere you wanted on the net.

These are a collection of malware links that I've been gleaning off
other messages. I keep them for amo if I need them but I'm going to
dump them here for you. I don't use or advocate any of them. As a
matter of fact I've not visited more than one of them. I keep them for
reading. So I pass them on as reading too. Put your feet up folks.!

http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Malware_Defence.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

db.·.. >

well, one suggestion that
i have is to avoid third party
software that really doesn't
accomplish much other than
to utilize disk space, ram and
cpu processing time.

for example, that incredi mail.

honestly you really don't
need it because mainstream
webmail is adequate with
accomplishing the task of
email.

hotmail, gmail, aol,
juno are just of the more
reliable ones. and of
course you have outlook
express also.

maybe what you might try
is to increase your virtual
memory.

set it to a custom size of
initial 2 and max 1152.

next change your catch
for running processor
scheduling to background.
this feature is on the same
dialog window where you
would click to access virtual
memory.

also, try disabling indexing
services, temporarily.

reboot and see if it helps.

Kate

Leythos said:
Never trust a fix posted to a site that has hosted pornographic
materials and that is on the MVP block list HOST file. Never trust
anyone that can't prove they are an MVP when pretending to be one.
I don't know the back story but I have to say since I tried the fix I
have not had a breakdown. Fingers crossed.
Kate

Kate

db.·.. > said:
[...]

FYI SecondCopy is a great little backup/sync program
Kate

db.·.. >

interesting little
utility you wrote
up...

didn't realize there
were so many dll's
involved.

nice job!.

db.·.. >

yeh, i would tend
to agree because of
the sweep on multiple
dll's.

do you basically have
a basic listing of
what issues your fix
will address?

i suppose that researching
the individual dll's will
provide some information
and though i am curious
about the issues, i dread
looking up each dll.

but it would be helpful
in order to recommend
your fix to others when
the opportunity arises.

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

Any type of Shell issues like explorer crashing, windows slow in opening,
right click delays, double click delays, Start menu, taskbar, desktop, File
Manager, GUI issues, Explorer memory errors on boot and shut down. Basically
anything that has to do with the Windows graphical shell.

db.·.. >

ok, thanks.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

pcbutts1 said:
Any type of Shell issues like explorer crashing, windows slow in opening,
right click delays, double click delays, Start menu, taskbar, desktop, File
Manager, GUI issues, Explorer memory errors on boot and shut down. Basically
anything that has to do with the Windows graphical shell.

db.·.. >

i can only say that
the batch file offered
to fix problems is safe