XP doesn't recognize 120 Gb SATA harddisk

Gordon

Recently bought a computer.
ASUS A7N8X deluxe MB
Maxtor SATA 120Gb harddisk
AMD Athlon 3000+ processor.

When I try to install XP it says that it can't detect my
harddisk.
Tried in Dos mode to format the disk and it works well.
Any suggestions

Lorne Smith

When starting the XP setup program, at the top of the screen it should
prompt you to press F6 (I think) to load drivers from disk. Do this and
insert your SATA driver diskette. XP should then be able to see the SATA
disk...

Lorne

Jeff Wade [MSFT]

Hello Gordon,

When you install Windows on a new computer, or on a computer containing the
latest SCSI or IDE controller technology, it may be necessary to use an OEM
device driver to support the new mass storage controller in order to
continue with the installation.

During text-mode Setup, Windows pauses briefly and prompts you to press F6.
This is displayed in the status line, and allows you to use an OEM driver.
This functionality for using an OEM driver is limited to installing a
driver that is not natively supported or does not match one included with
Windows.

If you use a newer version of an OEM device driver with the same name or
Plug and Play identifier as a device driver that is included with Windows,
Setup ignores the new OEM driver and uses the one included with Windows.
This results in the same error message as noted above.

Sincerely,
Jeff Wade [MS]

| From: "Gordon" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Gordon" <[email protected]>
| Subject: XP doesn't recognize 120 Gb SATA harddisk
| Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 01:54:34 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Recently bought a computer.
| ASUS A7N8X deluxe MB
| Maxtor SATA 120Gb harddisk
| AMD Athlon 3000+ processor.
|
| When I try to install XP it says that it can't detect my
| harddisk.
| Tried in Dos mode to format the disk and it works well.
| Any suggestions

Sincerely,

Jeffrey L. Wade
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

Mark Albee

I am having the same problem with my Asus A7v600. When I
try to load the VIA Drivers I get the following error
message.
FILE\SATA\WINXP\VIASRAID.SYS CAUSED AN ENEXPECTED ERROR
(512) AT LINE 2108 IN
D:\XPCLIENT\BASE\BOOT\SETUP\OEMDISK.C.
Any clue what this means?

George Ellis

Yuck. Usually when I have seen a similar problem (W2K - I think the line #
was different), either the driver or the inf has an issue. Lots of times,
the inf is expecting a specific directory structure for the location of the
driver. When you use it with F6, it cannot find it because the additional
driver function does not perserve that directory structure. The easiest
route may be to contact the mobo provider, Asus.

Mark Albee said:
I am having the same problem with my Asus A7v600. When I
try to load the VIA Drivers I get the following error
message.
FILE\SATA\WINXP\VIASRAID.SYS CAUSED AN ENEXPECTED ERROR
(512) AT LINE 2108 IN
D:\XPCLIENT\BASE\BOOT\SETUP\OEMDISK.C.
Any clue what this means?
When you install Windows on a new computer, or on a computer containing the
latest SCSI or IDE controller technology, it may be necessary to use an OEM
device driver to support the new mass storage controller in order to
continue with the installation.

During text-mode Setup, Windows pauses briefly and prompts you to press F6.
This is displayed in the status line, and allows you to use an OEM driver.
This functionality for using an OEM driver is limited to installing a
driver that is not natively supported or does not match one included with
Windows.

If you use a newer version of an OEM device driver with the same name or
Plug and Play identifier as a device driver that is included with Windows,
Setup ignores the new OEM driver and uses the one included with Windows.
This results in the same error message as noted above.

Sincerely,
Jeff Wade [MS]

| From: "Gordon" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Gordon" <[email protected]>
| Subject: XP doesn't recognize 120 Gb SATA harddisk
| Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 01:54:34 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Recently bought a computer.
| ASUS A7N8X deluxe MB
| Maxtor SATA 120Gb harddisk
| AMD Athlon 3000+ processor.
|
| When I try to install XP it says that it can't detect my
| harddisk.
| Tried in Dos mode to format the disk and it works well.
| Any suggestions

Sincerely,

Jeffrey L. Wade
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

.

Ray

So what is the fix for this?

If I can't load the newer driver and XP doesn't recognise
the SATA drive on installation how can I change it?

Ray
I am having the same problem with my Asus A7v600. When I
try to load the VIA Drivers I get the following error
message.
FILE\SATA\WINXP\VIASRAID.SYS CAUSED AN ENEXPECTED ERROR
(512) AT LINE 2108 IN
D:\XPCLIENT\BASE\BOOT\SETUP\OEMDISK.C.
Any clue what this means?
When you install Windows on a new computer, or on a computer containing the
latest SCSI or IDE controller technology, it may be necessary to use an OEM
device driver to support the new mass storage controller in order to
continue with the installation.

During text-mode Setup, Windows pauses briefly and prompts you to press F6.
This is displayed in the status line, and allows you to use an OEM driver.
This functionality for using an OEM driver is limited to installing a
driver that is not natively supported or does not match one included with
Windows.

If you use a newer version of an OEM device driver with the same name or
Plug and Play identifier as a device driver that is included with Windows,
Setup ignores the new OEM driver and uses the one included with Windows.
This results in the same error message as noted above.

Sincerely,
Jeff Wade [MS]

| From: "Gordon" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Gordon" <[email protected]>
| Subject: XP doesn't recognize 120 Gb SATA harddisk
| Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 01:54:34 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Recently bought a computer.
| ASUS A7N8X deluxe MB
| Maxtor SATA 120Gb harddisk
| AMD Athlon 3000+ processor.
|
| When I try to install XP it says that it can't detect my
| harddisk.
| Tried in Dos mode to format the disk and it works well.
| Any suggestions

Sincerely,

Jeffrey L. Wade
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

.
.

Mike Stewart

Its bascially saying its having a problem reading the disk, download the
latest via raid drivers from ur motherboard site or the via site and then
copy them to disk and do it again it should work that way.

HTH

Ray said:
So what is the fix for this?

If I can't load the newer driver and XP doesn't recognise
the SATA drive on installation how can I change it?

Ray
I am having the same problem with my Asus A7v600. When I
try to load the VIA Drivers I get the following error
message.
FILE\SATA\WINXP\VIASRAID.SYS CAUSED AN ENEXPECTED ERROR
(512) AT LINE 2108 IN
D:\XPCLIENT\BASE\BOOT\SETUP\OEMDISK.C.
Any clue what this means?
When you install Windows on a new computer, or on a computer containing the
latest SCSI or IDE controller technology, it may be necessary to use an OEM
device driver to support the new mass storage controller in order to
continue with the installation.

During text-mode Setup, Windows pauses briefly and prompts you to press F6.
This is displayed in the status line, and allows you to use an OEM driver.
This functionality for using an OEM driver is limited to installing a
driver that is not natively supported or does not match one included with
Windows.

If you use a newer version of an OEM device driver with the same name or
Plug and Play identifier as a device driver that is included with Windows,
Setup ignores the new OEM driver and uses the one included with Windows.
This results in the same error message as noted above.

Sincerely,
Jeff Wade [MS]

| From: "Gordon" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Gordon" <[email protected]>
| Subject: XP doesn't recognize 120 Gb SATA harddisk
| Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 01:54:34 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Recently bought a computer.
| ASUS A7N8X deluxe MB
| Maxtor SATA 120Gb harddisk
| AMD Athlon 3000+ processor.
|
| When I try to install XP it says that it can't detect my
| harddisk.
| Tried in Dos mode to format the disk and it works well.
| Any suggestions

Sincerely,

Jeffrey L. Wade
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

.
.

George Ellis

As Mike said. The inf usually has bad directory references or section
errors. Or the id was in the inf and not covered in the driver.

Ray said:
So what is the fix for this?

If I can't load the newer driver and XP doesn't recognise
the SATA drive on installation how can I change it?

Ray
I am having the same problem with my Asus A7v600. When I
try to load the VIA Drivers I get the following error
message.
FILE\SATA\WINXP\VIASRAID.SYS CAUSED AN ENEXPECTED ERROR
(512) AT LINE 2108 IN
D:\XPCLIENT\BASE\BOOT\SETUP\OEMDISK.C.
Any clue what this means?
When you install Windows on a new computer, or on a computer containing the
latest SCSI or IDE controller technology, it may be necessary to use an OEM
device driver to support the new mass storage controller in order to
continue with the installation.

During text-mode Setup, Windows pauses briefly and prompts you to press F6.
This is displayed in the status line, and allows you to use an OEM driver.
This functionality for using an OEM driver is limited to installing a
driver that is not natively supported or does not match one included with
Windows.

If you use a newer version of an OEM device driver with the same name or
Plug and Play identifier as a device driver that is included with Windows,
Setup ignores the new OEM driver and uses the one included with Windows.
This results in the same error message as noted above.

Sincerely,
Jeff Wade [MS]

| From: "Gordon" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Gordon" <[email protected]>
| Subject: XP doesn't recognize 120 Gb SATA harddisk
| Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 01:54:34 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Recently bought a computer.
| ASUS A7N8X deluxe MB
| Maxtor SATA 120Gb harddisk
| AMD Athlon 3000+ processor.
|
| When I try to install XP it says that it can't detect my
| harddisk.
| Tried in Dos mode to format the disk and it works well.
| Any suggestions

Sincerely,

Jeffrey L. Wade
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

.
.

G.Beat

Go to the ASUS web site.
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm

Check to see that you have the latest motherboard BIOS
The Download section will have the latest version of RAID drivers for your
specific motherboard.

For example, for the ASUS current flagship motherboard A7N8X-E-D this is at:
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-e-d/overview.htm

The Download section (A7N8X-E-D) would show the Serial ATA RAID driver for
Windows: siliconv_10033.zip

For the A7V600 (Socket A motherboard)
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v600/overview.htm

Note the "new" RAID version 2.11 (November 24, 2003) and BIOS (November 17,
2003) in Download Section.

GB