XP clients loosing mapped drives

Troy Tomlin

I have a customer that has 9 XP(SP1) workstations
connecting to a Windows 2000 server(SP4) domain. The
problem I'm having is that when the workstations sit idle
for an hour or so, they loose the mapped drive to the
server. If they click on the drive icon it will
eventually connect, but it takes a very long time. If
they restart the computer, everything is OK.

I have already tried turning the autodisconnect off on
the server and that did not help the problem.

The server is doing DHCP, the PCs are connected to a 16
port 10/100 hub.

Thanks for you help!

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Troy,

Check the setting in the following registry key on the server:
Find "AutoDisconnect" In the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
Default value is 15 minutes.
If this is a 2000/2003 server in a domain, the values are
Settings range is 0 to 4294967295 (which is 8,171 years)

We've also sene this problem manifest itself with antivirus software. Check the setting in the
registry first and then if neede,d try disabling the anitvirus.

Also be sure that the power save settings on the clients and server don't let the hard drive go
to sleep after a period of time.

Same with wake-on-lan network cards/adapters.

Hope this helps,
Gary

Hope this helps,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "Troy Tomlin" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Troy Tomlin" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: XP clients loosing mapped drives
'--'Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 07:49:08 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.