XP boot stops at logo screen

G

My HP Laptop with XP Home has stopped booting. It gets to the XP logo screen, when the next step is to bring up the UserID for login it just stops, no UserID. I've tried restarting using the F8 options, including last known good config to no avail

Can data recovery companies recover my harddrive data if I need to reinstall XP (formatting the HD)?

Any ideas for 3rd party tools to get this to boot at least one more time so I can recover the data?? I've heard of something called CPR for XP but don't know any more...

G

I have exactly the same problem that happened on start up this morning (the 13th)
Can this be some type of virus triggered by the date???
I have tried everything except using a recovery disk--which will wipe out my data
Help !!

----- Ron wrote: ----

My HP Laptop with XP Home has stopped booting. It gets to the XP logo screen, when the next step is to bring up the UserID for login it just stops, no UserID. I've tried restarting using the F8 options, including last known good config to no avail

Can data recovery companies recover my harddrive data if I need to reinstall XP (formatting the HD)?

Any ideas for 3rd party tools to get this to boot at least one more time so I can recover the data?? I've heard of something called CPR for XP but don't know any more...

G

If you come up safe mode via F8 during boot, it should get you past the no user/empty login screen.
You can then add admin user or whatever via control panel. Worked for me.

Ask a Question