XP autoactivation with OEM version

Hi
I have an OEM version of WinXP. I ran SysPrep with sysprep.ini answer file. Everything works except "Autoactivate=Yes". The end user enters the computer name and the OEM license key from the side of the PC. All great until they sign in. They get the request to activate, but cannot with Power User permissions on the local PC
I need to figure out if there is a way to set the computer to do a RunOnce in the registry, and have the PC activate itself (sysprep has an option, but I do not know the command that may work, run as an admin.)
Or if I have to rebuild the image from scratch using volume license media (we do have Volume license agreements, But purchase OEM licenses on the PCs. I would like to avoid this)
Lastly - I did see articles about running a Script, but it referenced having a list of license keys - which I would not have..

Any Ideas?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Deploying Windows XP Using Windows Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/wpadepl.mspx

P.S. OEM Product Keys will not work if you use a Volume License installation CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Hi,
| I have an OEM version of WinXP. I ran SysPrep with sysprep.ini answer file. Everything works except
"Autoactivate=Yes". The end user enters the computer name and the OEM license key from the side of the PC.
All great until they sign in. They get the request to activate, but cannot with Power User permissions on the
local PC.
| I need to figure out if there is a way to set the computer to do a RunOnce in the registry, and have the PC
activate itself (sysprep has an option, but I do not know the command that may work, run as an admin.).
| Or if I have to rebuild the image from scratch using volume license media (we do have Volume license
agreements, But purchase OEM licenses on the PCs. I would like to avoid this).
| Lastly - I did see articles about running a Script, but it referenced having a list of license keys - which
I would not have..

| Any Ideas?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,

See the following article:
Unsupported Sysprep scenarios
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828287
OEM installation image
Microsoft does not support the use of Sysprep to create a new image of a
system that was originally created by using a custom OEM installation image
or by using OEM installation media. Microsoft only supports such an image
if the image was created by the OEM manufacturer.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: =?Utf-8?B?SiBSb2JlcnRz?= <[email protected]>
Subject: XP autoactivation with OEM version
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 07:46:03 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

The is no such thing as a "generic Product Key" unless you were to use
Volume Licensing. In your case, you'll have to enter each individual OEM Product Key
manually to activate. You cannot use the same OEM Product Key as you could if
you had Volume Licensing.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| I'm using an OEM install (from Dell) and an OEM license key entered at mini setup.
| The AutoActivate=Yes does not work in the Sysprep.ini file ( i think because I do not have a product key
listed)
| The oem product key is entered by the user doing the 'Mini-Setup'.
| The network users who log onto the PC do not have authority to Activate XP, and I definately wonder if they
will have the authority to enter the product key and activate if I just use a generic product key.
| I've tried to run the Activation script ( 4th one ) and the script runs if I log in as an Admin. It will
not run if entered into the RunOnce registry (get error), and is deleted even with ! preface.
| I guess I do not know how to run it as a service or under the machine account after setup, but prior to the
User logon.