XP and SWG

Chris

Any tips to setting up XP to allow better performance with
SWG?

My system is ...
P3 1Ghz, 512mb ram, geForce 4 Ti 4200 (128mb ram), Santa
Cruz Sound

I connect to the net via a Cable Modem.

I still drop signal from time to time on SWG, but by
simply upgrading to XP I have noticed some improvement in
game play. Now I want to tweak it a little and squeeze as
much out of my system as possible.

Chris

Jimmy S.

Glad to be of service! :)

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message | Hi Chris,

> [...]
| another advice would be to simply unplug the computer, remove the card
| you connect to the internet with, and then restart the computer to verify that there
| is no longer anything installed in the Control Panel / Networking section.
| Once done power off, unplug, reinstall the card, and create a new connection.
|
| 3. Lag/Latency can be caused by your Modem or Network Cards and by other
| programs running on your system. Firewalls and even AntiVirus programs have
| been know to slow a connection down. You can disable startup programs using the
| method explained at: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm.
|
| 4. Scan for adware/spyware: www.lavasoftusa.com
| Run a Virus Scan: http://housecall.antivirus.com/
| Run a Trojan Scan: http://lockdowncorp.com/bots/downloadswatit.html
|
| 5. If you use a Router, or similar networking/internet sharing device, check for
| firmware updates. There's been a lot of improvements with the release of DX 9.0a
| which you should download and install from: www.microsoft.com/directx
|

| IF DISCONNECTED WHILE PLAYING:
|
| 1. Disconnects can be caused by your Modem or Network Cards and by other
| programs running on your system. See above for help disabling those programs.
|
| 2. Another reason for disconnects could be an external router or modem that has
| overheated. Try unplugging it for awhile, and contact your ISP to see if they have
| a newer model if the problem keeps recurring.
|
| 3. Check for IRQ sharing: Click START / Run / type: msinfo32 / ENTER
| Expand + Hardware Resources / Click on IRQ and notice if the sound card, video
| card(s), and modem/network cards share the same IRQ. If they do, move them into
| different slots, to prevent bottlenecks caused by too much traffic on the same IRQ.
|
| 4. Further to step 3., Make certain that your Network adapter or Internal Modem
| is not in the slot directly beside the graphics card, as those two must be separate.
|

| ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:
|
| More information on the topic of online gaming connections is available at:
|
| http://NibblesNbitsConnect.tk my site and the reference for this reply to you includes
| Ports listings, Router configuration settings, ICS, DSL, Cable and Networking help.
|
| Dialup Tips: http://www.56k.com/trouble/#disconn
| Zone.com Dialup Tips: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q228564
|
| Hope that's been of help, please let me know how it went. :)
|
| --
| Cheers,
| Jimmy S.
|
| Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
| Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
| Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
|
| | | Any tips to setting up XP to allow better performance with
| |
| | My system is ...
| | P3 1Ghz, 512mb ram, geForce 4 Ti 4200 (128mb ram), Santa
| | Cruz Sound
| |