XP and HAL: MVP help PLEASE

G

XP and HAL: HELP MVP

RE: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q309283
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=30928

The article referenced above states the following:
HAL Options After Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 Setu
When you install the following HALs on a Windows XP-based or Windows Server 2003-based computer, the following device manager HAL options appear: (List of 5-6 HAL types including the following:

"ACPI Multiprocessor PC", ACPI APIC MP HAL (Halmacpi.dll
Standard P
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) P
ACPI Multiprocesso
MPS Multiprocesso

Several choices are listed. The ACPI MP PC HALL noted above is my interest
EACH HAL type listed has a unique .dll file associated with it
The ACPI Mulitprocessor PC, ACPI APIC MP HAL above is 'Halmacpi.dll.
Note: A Standard PC HAL is Hal.dl

Question: After a clean install of XP and forcing the ACPI MP PC HAL type listed above, the XP Device Manager Driver Information indicates that Halmacpi.dll is NOT install. Rather Hal.dll is installed. The Hal.dll is installed when XP, again during a clean install, is allow to read the system and select the correct HAL.

Concern 1 : IS the KB article incorrect? IF specific .dll files associated with specific HALs are listed why are they not installed
BIG Concern : Could it be that the .dll file installed has something to do with WindowsXP NOT recognizing certain devices associated with the Intel 875P chipset; namely the link between the "Processor and the I/O Controller" OR the link of "Processor to I/O Memory Interface - 257E
System
Asus p4c800e-delux
Intel 875
Windows XP Pr
Clean Install on NTFS 20GB IBM IDE Driv
Intel P4 2.4
Hyperthreading enable
Default bios setting

HELP please...... :| Thank you.

Ask a Question