XP 64 Bit vs Normal XP (Upgrade Advice)

Reaction score
Hiya

as you are all aware that I am upgrading my pc
at the moment ive got xp pro
have had it for a long time

im aware that there is also an xp windows 64bit version that was released recently.

ive been talking to my mate he rekons theres no point getting a 64bit processor if im gona stick with my 32bit OS.

is he right?

what will be the advatages of my getting 64bit xp over my current version of xp?

thanks psd99

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Stick with 32bit XP ... no problem with XP drivers then. :thumb:

;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
stick with just good old XP Pro, the 64bit version is not worth the hasle

Reaction score
don't bother with the 64bit. It has identical performance in games and office use etc.

I would imagine the 64 bit would come in handy for vista or whatever, but there is next to no software outside of CAD and the like that uses 64 bit at the moment.

Reaction score
That shouldn't stop you getting a 64bit CPU though... they generally run about 20% faster in 32bit windows anyway!

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
I was originally running XP64 on the config below, but had to revert to XP32 due to the severe lack of drivers and software conflicts.

However, I am still running it against the AMD64 X2 chip which does have some advantages depending on what you want out of your machine. I find the ability to run the two cores independently quite useful on times, but i guess its down to personal choice in the end :)

Reaction score
Athlon 3700+ = £150

Equivalent X2 (4400+) = £350

my budget doesn't stretch that far :(

ill slot in an x2 when funds become available. which wont be for ages.

Ask a Question