x64 RIS off Win2003 SP1 server

Nick Payne

Has anyone managed to successfully build an x64 workstation from a RIS image
on a Win2003 SP1 server? I've been experimenting with the x64 WinXP CD, a
RIS server running Win2003 SP1, and a Dell GX620 workstation, which has a P4
processor with the e64mt extensions.

1. I can install x64 WinXP onto the workstation from the CD, so I know the
workstation supports the OS.
2. I can create the flat image on the server from the CD using RISETUP /add
3. I also updated the OSC screens when creating the flat image, and
x8664.osc exists in the RemoteInstall\OSChooser\Language directory
4. I have also checked the DefaultPlatformForx8664 value in the registry,
and it is not set, which should mean that I should get an initial RIS screen
asking whether I want to install a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows.

However, when I PXE boot the GX620, the initial screen I see is for
selecting which 32-bit OS to install. It seems that the detection from the
server end of whether the workstation is 64-bit capable does not work. Any
suggestions on this?

Nick Payne

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Nick
Start with this article
891128 Updated Remote Installation Service functionality in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=891128

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]