Workaround for new definition update problem?

To All,

Have been a lurker for quite some time and appreciate all Bill's and many
other's efforts and input. This is the same problem that existed earlier
and now seems to be back. Will the old work around resolve the problem...
and if so, can you point me to the post with the procedure for updating the
definitions "the hard way"? Many thanks again to all. This is from my
diagnostic report after multiple attempts over the past 24 hours... after
updating it shows 140/138 and Spyware Definition Version: 5787 (12/29/2005
9:16:16 PM), but then reverts to version 5785 and 138/138.

Microsoft AntiSpyware version 1.0.701
Windows OS: 2000
Windows OS Version Info: 148
Windows OS Major Version: 5
Windows OS Minor Version: 0
Windows OS Build: 2195
Current Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware
Install Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\
Session.RunMode: 5
Session.TimeBombDaysRemaining: 214
Session.TimeBombExpirationDate: 7/31/2006
Real-time protection running: True
Real-time protection enabled: True
Security Agents Application Enabled: True
Security Agents Internet Enabled: True
Security Agents System Enabled: True
Security Agents Checkpoints: 59
Definitions Update Date: 12/29/2005 9:16:16 PM
AutoUpdater Enabled: 1
AutoUpdater AutoApply Enabled: 1
Definitions Increment Version: 138/138
Definitions ThreatAuditThreatData: 1345263
Definitions ThreatAuditScanData: 2963787
Definitions DeterminationData: 744384

Many thanks,
Marty

Dave M

No, the workaround manual definition update that has been posted previously will
not update you to 5787, as the downloadable files on spynet.com are still at
update level 5785. (20 minutes ago)

Thanks Dave. Went to spynet.com and couldn't find where the version of the
latest downloadable file is. Would appreciate you help in my learning
process. TIA.

Marty

This the workaround I was referring to... posted a while ago by Engel.
Wonder if this will work if the original updating problem comes back... even
though MS claimed they resolved the problem with the new build update.

Right click and "Save target as..."
http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcDeterminationData.gcd

http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcThreatAuditScanData.gcd

http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcThreatAuditThreatData.gcd

Copy/paste these files to Program files/Microsoft Antispyware

Restart MSAS and "check for updates"

Marty

Dave M

Sure, but first I want to repeat this for all:

The definition files at Spynet.com are STILL at the 5785 level
* THIS WILL NOT UPDATE YOU TO LEVEL 5787 *
until spynet's files are also updated to that definition level, maybe at the
same time that MSAS auto-updates also reach that level.

From: "Dave M"
Subject: Re: Updating problem
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005
announcements forum

So, overloading that server for no reason won't help. Bill Sanderson said it
best when he said that he was amazed that the distribution method for this
application has lasted this long. It was never designed for 18,000,000 users
hitting it 10 times each. Honestly, your best bet is to wait until someone
announces their at 5787, and get it on one try. You won't miss those multiple
posts... ;)

Tom R

"Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.701
This version expires on: 7/31/2006
Spyware Definition Version: 5787 (12/30/2005 3:54:52 AM)"

Seems to be working now.

YES - it works - thanks!

drmef said:
This the workaround I was referring to... posted a while ago by Engel.
Wonder if this will work if the original updating problem comes back... even
though MS claimed they resolved the problem with the new build update.

Right click and "Save target as..."
http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcDeterminationData.gcd

http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcThreatAuditScanData.gcd

http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcThreatAuditThreatData.gcd

Copy/paste these files to Program files/Microsoft Antispyware

Restart MSAS and "check for updates"

Marty

Tried to update to definitions 5789 with no luck... still ended-up in a loop
with no update... until I did what was suggested below by Engel. Walla!
Took less than a minute and updated fine. Checking for new updates showed I
was now current (up to date) and "diagnosis" showed running 5789 and:
Definitions Increment Version: 142/142
Definitions ThreatAuditThreatData: 1345263
Definitions ThreatAuditScanData: 2963894
Definitions DeterminationData: 745158

The problem existing before may have changed a bit in the program and may
require following the above solution. Many thanks to all.

Marty