Word work file

G

I am getting a Micosoft Word error as follows 'Word could not create the work
file. Check the temp environment variable.' This is often followed by ' you
are working without a Word work file and memory is nearly full. Save your
work.'
Having saved the work the system then locks.

G

Graham Mayor

Did you read the answer to the thread you posted into?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Reaction score
Word Cannot Create the Work File

I tried the following Microsoft fix...

Method 1: The Data Subkey in the Windows Registry Is Corrupted

loadTOCNode(2, 'resolution'); Use the /a command switch to start Word. The /a switch allows you to start Word without loading the Data registry subkey.

For additional information about how to start Word by using the /a command switch, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 232605 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232605/EN-US/) WD2000: How to Ignore User Settings When You Start Word
If the error messages described in the "Symptoms" section of this article do not appear when you start Word with the /a command switch, delete the Data subkey, and then rename the Normal.dot file. These actions reset all options to their default settings. Word rebuilds the Data subkey by using the default settings the next time that you start Word.

This solved my problem, but it doesn't say what data key to delete from the registry. Does anyone know?

Thanks for your help,

Rene

Reaction score
After searching for a long time I never found an answer. My end user was having the same issue with files in office 2007. Regardless of it they were local or on a network share. The solution provided in the link posted here did not work. What we finally found was a lack of permissions to content.word and content.outlook files under the user's profile in the temporary internet folder under local settings. After adjusting the permissions so users had full access to that folder the issue was corrected. I still have yet to find a site that could direct me to that fix or any other one that actually works. I found stuff on google groups from 2005 with the same error and nobody could provide a fix.

Ask a Question