Word processor

Querulantus

It looks like there is still no freeware alternative for the Open
Office word processor. However, it seems a bit silly to install an
offici suite when you only need a word processor. So I had a second
look at AbiWord. I rejected it about two years ago, when it it was
downright crap. It's a lot better now, but it does not handle columns
properly and it has no real document tabs. So thumbs down again. The
quest continues.
I need one which handles .doc files well, as that's the format I get
from a number of my contacts and it's what these good people expect
from me.

Q.

Sparky

Querulantus said:
It looks like there is still no freeware alternative for the Open
Office word processor. However, it seems a bit silly to install an
offici suite when you only need a word processor.

Q;

You can install only those components you wish. On installation, click
"Custom." You will be shown a list (tree) of what is included as the
default install. Deselect those components that you don't want. For
more info:

http://www.openoffice.org/files/documents/75/1588/SETUP_GUIDE.pdf

(see page 24 "Component Selection")

-Sparky

*ProteanThread*

can't abiword be configured to do what you want? surely the default
functions suck; what about floppyword?

i too, am looking for a wordprocessor only app outside of office suite.

Allan Bruce

Querulantus said:
It looks like there is still no freeware alternative for the Open
Office word processor. However, it seems a bit silly to install an
offici suite when you only need a word processor. So I had a second
look at AbiWord. I rejected it about two years ago, when it it was
downright crap. It's a lot better now, but it does not handle columns
properly and it has no real document tabs. So thumbs down again. The
quest continues.
I need one which handles .doc files well, as that's the format I get
from a number of my contacts and it's what these good people expect
from me.

Q.

You can obtain a free word viewer from Microsoft I think which allows you to
view word files but not edit them.
Allan

CJ Jones

Querulantus said:
It looks like there is still no freeware alternative for the Open
Office word processor.

I still use Cetus, but if you are doing things for publishing...then you
need to consider that no matter how you format things, whatever the
printer company uses will affect the layout. It's better to lay out
things you like and then save as PDF files.

Ron May

Message-ID said:
It looks like there is still no freeware alternative for the Open
Office word processor. However, it seems a bit silly to install an
offici suite when you only need a word processor. So I had a second
look at AbiWord. I rejected it about two years ago, when it it was
downright crap. It's a lot better now, but it does not handle columns
properly and it has no real document tabs. So thumbs down again. The
quest continues.
I need one which handles .doc files well, as that's the format I get
from a number of my contacts and it's what these good people expect
from me.

Q.

A third choice (after OO and Abiword) might be Atlantis Nova

http://www.rssol.com/en/html/download/nova.htm

Ron M.

Richard Steinfeld

Querulantus said:
It looks like there is still no freeware alternative for the Open
Office word processor. However, it seems a bit silly to install an
offici suite when you only need a word processor. So I had a second
look at AbiWord. I rejected it about two years ago, when it it was
downright crap. It's a lot better now, but it does not handle columns
properly and it has no real document tabs. So thumbs down again. The
quest continues.
I need one which handles .doc files well, as that's the format I get
from a number of my contacts and it's what these good people expect
from me.

Q.
Thanks for the heads-up. I was just going to try it out since I've not
been thrilled with Open Office's word program v1.1.2. I've found a bit
too much klutziness for comfort. And I miss MS Word's highlighted text
dragging. Tonight, I imported part of an HTML document into OO, and I
just could not unravel the document -- it was a snap when I pulled the
text into the PSPad "notepad" program, however (that's a program that's
almost-ready, just lacking little touches and print control).

However, I'll be the first to say that OO's a powerful program and shows
really great promise. I'll have to try the latest version.

I've enjoyed the OO spreadsheet program more -- it seems a good
alternative to what MS sells. However, Excel is slicker when it comes to
things like expanding a cell to accomodate word-wrapped text. And I'm a
very minor player when it comes to number-crunching, so there may be
problems that I haven't uncovered.

Richard

Richard

Duddits

It looks like there is still no freeware alternative for the Open
Office word processor. However, it seems a bit silly to install an
offici suite when you only need a word processor. So I had a second
look at AbiWord. I rejected it about two years ago, when it it was
downright crap. It's a lot better now, but it does not handle columns
properly and it has no real document tabs. So thumbs down again. The
quest continues.
I need one which handles .doc files well, as that's the format I get
from a number of my contacts and it's what these good people expect
from me.

Q.

Tomahawk PDF+ v2.7.2 Freeware Version is a very capable, simple word
processor that just so happens to make PDF files as well. I love it.
http://nativewinds.montana.com/software/tomahawk.html

regards

Dud

Ron May

Message-ID said:
Tomahawk PDF+ v2.7.2 Freeware Version is a very capable, simple word
processor that just so happens to make PDF files as well. I love it.
http://nativewinds.montana.com/software/tomahawk.html

regards

Dud

Played with this today, but noticed that CPU usage jumped to 100% in
Windows Task Manager, with Tomahawk taking 98% and staying there, even
though the program was just "open" with a blank dofcument, i.e., it
wasn't loading, saving or converting anything. Closing the program
brought CPU back dow to 1-2 percent, and opening program again caused
CPU to shoot back to 100% again. (My system: Win XP Home SP2, 2.7G
Celeron.) Anyone else notice similar behavior?

Ron M.

Dark Cloud

Querulantus said:
It looks like there is still no freeware alternative for the Open
Office word processor. However, it seems a bit silly to install an
offici suite when you only need a word processor. So I had a second
look at AbiWord. I rejected it about two years ago, when it it was
downright crap. It's a lot better now, but it does not handle columns
properly and it has no real document tabs. So thumbs down again. The
quest continues.
I need one which handles .doc files well, as that's the format I get
from a number of my contacts and it's what these good people expect
from me.

Q.

I like this pretty well:

http://www.software602.com/products/pcs/download.html

Free for personal, non-commercial use

DC

Ian Jackson

Ron May said:
Played with this today, but noticed that CPU usage jumped to 100% in
Windows Task Manager, with Tomahawk taking 98% and staying there, even
though the program was just "open" with a blank dofcument, i.e., it
wasn't loading, saving or converting anything. Closing the program
brought CPU back dow to 1-2 percent, and opening program again caused
CPU to shoot back to 100% again. (My system: Win XP Home SP2, 2.7G
Celeron.) Anyone else notice similar behavior?

Ron M.

Yes. I tried it, and it did exactly the same.
XP Home, no SP2 (yet). 1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4.
Ian.

Duddits

Yes. I tried it, and it did exactly the same.
XP Home, no SP2 (yet). 1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4.
Ian.

Just tried it on my box (Win XP SP2 Athlon 64 3800). CPU usage is ~1-4%.
Maybe it's because I use an older version of Tomahawk (2.0.0) that doesn't
use the registry. If you want to try it out I'll be posting it in
alt.binaries.freeware later this evening.

regards

Dud

Ron May

Message-ID said:
Just tried it on my box (Win XP SP2 Athlon 64 3800). CPU usage is ~1-4%.
Maybe it's because I use an older version of Tomahawk (2.0.0) that doesn't
use the registry. If you want to try it out I'll be posting it in
alt.binaries.freeware later this evening.

regards

Dud

It may just be the newewst release. I rolled back to version 2.5.0.2,
and it seems to behave normally. (Kept it in an "old" subdirectory and
just moved the files back up a notch to overwrite the "newer" files)
I no longer have the original zip file, though, so it's probably not
strictly in line with the EULA to re-zip what I kept and upload it to
ABF. I often delete files I don't think are "needed," so the re-zip
wouldn't be complete.

Ron M.