Word Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
ships :nod:

(bit of a leap I know but I always love getting out with the binoculars watching the incoming ships :cool: )

Reaction score
cirianz said:
(??? over here raid is a flyspray)none
RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives) is a way of ganging up a number of hard drives to either increase performance, increase reliability, or preferably, both. Referring to RAID 0 as RAID, is something of a misnomer as though it stripes data across two or more drives to increase performance it doesn’t actually provide any redundancy. If a drive or the RAID controller fails then the array is broken beyond repair and your data is lost. Assuming this doesn’t happen though, performance will be good as the controller is usually able to repeatedly read and write to the cache on each drive in turn.

RAID 1 mirrors data from one drive to another so you get full redundancy but there is a trade-off. Write time increases compared to a regular PC with a single drive as the controller has to write to two drives. Read times often improve however, as Windows has two drives with the same data to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question