Word 2007 - Problems with TOC/Headers When Using Hidden Text to Single-Source 2 Docs

Reaction score
I have a course doc in which some chapters (and their associated TOC entries) are only for instructors, while the rest of the text (and their TOC entries) is for both students and instructors. I want to single-source both versions in one doc, so that I don't have to maintain two different versions.

For the text, I've marked the instructor-only portions, including their chapter headings, as hidden text. I can print the instructor manual with hidden text showing, and the student manual with the hidden text hidden. That works fine.

For the TOC, I'd like to have the instructor-version TOC show all chapter headings, while the student-version TOC would show only the chapter headings for the student-accessible chapters.

I'd like to have the TOC look like this: (Sorry that it doesn't line up properly here)

About This Instructor Guide.......................................iii
Before You Teach..............................v

Pre-Training Checklist.......................xi

About This Course..........................xiii
Lab 1: Component Identification................................1
Lab 2: Installation...........................5
[FONT=&quot] etc.[/FONT]

Here, the three italicized headings would appear ONLY in the TOC for the Instructor edition.

THE PROBLEMS:

1. Even when I have hidden text displayed, the headings in the hidden text in the chapters italicized in the list above don’t appear in the TOC, which uses the following field code:

{·TOC·\o·"1-1"·\h·\z·\u·}

2. For my even page headers, I’ve used the following field code to show the page number, followed by the chapter title, which is formatted with the ChapterTitlestyle:

{·PAGE·} {·STYLEREF··ChapterTitle··*·MERGEFORMAT}·

For the student-accessible text, this works fine:

2 Lab·1:·Component·Identification

But for the instructor-only text, only the page number appears. The hidden-text chapter titles do not appear:

xiv (Should be xiv Pre-Training Checklist)

If anyone knows how I can get the hidden headings to appear in the instructor-version TOC, and in the page headers for their chapters, I’d appreciate any help you can give me. Ultimately, the problem is that the fields included as hidden text are not picked up in the TOC or in the header field shown in #2 above.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-- Ed

Ask a Question