Word Word 2007 find and replace

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know how to use Word 2007 find and replace to find bolded text and insert text following (or preceding) the bolded text. This would be easy if the bolded text were the same each time, but in my situation the bolded text is different each time so it's not a simple search for that language.

For example, the bolded language is a location such as Chicago, and I'd like to insert the text "the city of" preceding the city name so that it ends up "the city of Chicago". In the next instance, it's a different city. The city names are the only text in the document that is bolded. I know the functionality will allow me to find bolded text. I'm getting stuck on how to insert the additional language.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know how to do this an easy way, but if you export the document as an HTML file (web page) it will save the code, which places a "<b>" just before any text that appears in bold. You could re-open the HTML file as plain text, search for "<b>" and replace with "<b> The city of". Then, open the HTML file in word normally and then save as a word document.

I know it's a bit confusing, but it's the only way to do it that I know of. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to try it to see. How do I export as an HTML file?Thanks!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Click on the orb, then select Save As > Other Formats and choose "web page" as the file type. Once it's saved, you'll need to re-open the HTML file as plain text (you could do this by renaming the file to a .txt file and open it in word again). :)

Reaction score
Hmm. Didn't work. I saved the file as a web page (single-file web page). Changed it to a .txt file and opened it using word. The bolding is still there, not bold markup codes.

I think the problem is that it doesn't really change to a text file. When I used the rename function (right-click, rename) it just allows you to change the file name. The file type is listed further over in the column. I wonder if it doesn't really change to a text file but I don't know how else to do it. Maybe it's a word 2007 thing.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
Okay, that worked. I can save it as a web page, change it to a .txt file and then open it in word. But it looks the same--same bold headings, no markup on the file. Bummer!

Ask a Question