Won't load web pages

Ray Parrish

Hello,

Internet Explorer 6.0 has for some reason decided that it doesn't need
to load any pages I try to go to. It won't load any page on the internet
at all, not even Windows Update.

I'm running Win98 with all of the security patches downloaded and
installed.

I've tried dumping cookies and emptying the cache but it didn't work.

Please help me as I need Internet Explorer to be working.

Thanks, Ray Parrish

Try going into Tools/Internet Options/LAN Settings and make sure your proxy
settings are correct. Or if you are not using a proxy at all, make sure it
is not populated. You should also check your DNS settings. I am not sure
about Windows 98 but there should be a Network Connections icon somewhere
that you can right click on, go to properties, then TCP/IP settings and make
sure DNS is correct. If you are using an ISP you are probably getting this
through DHCP and you won't have to worry about it but if you are in corporate
setting you might.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Are other programs, such as Outlook Express or another browser, able to
connect? What's the error message?

What type of internet connection- dial-up, cable, dsl?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Ray Parrish

Hello again,

I am able to connect to the internet with all other programs, including
Netscape, Outlook Express, etc...

I am on a dial up account and run Zone Alarm as a firewall. I checked it today
and it has Internet Explorer marked as a trusted internet application so I am
still at a loss to explain why it won't download any web pages.

There are no error messages, it just sits there with the throbber rotating and
a blank page showing.

Later, Ray Parrish

Ray Parrish said:
Hello,

Internet Explorer 6.0 has for some reason decided that it doesn't need
to load any pages I try to go to. It won't load any page on the internet
at all, not even Windows Update.

I'm running Win98 with all of the security patches downloaded and
installed.

I've tried dumping cookies and emptying the cache but it didn't work.

Please help me as I need Internet Explorer to be working.

Thanks, Ray Parrish

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Ray Parrish said:
Hello again,

I am able to connect to the internet with all other programs,
including Netscape, Outlook Express, etc...

I am on a dial up account and run Zone Alarm as a firewall. I checked
it today and it has Internet Explorer marked as a trusted internet
application so I am still at a loss to explain why it won't download
any web pages.

There are no error messages, it just sits there with the throbber
rotating and a blank page showing.

Go to Start | Run and type
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
and click OK.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Ray Parrish

Hello again,

As a side note, I noticed that about the same time that IE decided not to
load web pages, the images in Outlook Express emails which aren't sent with
the email will no longer load from the web, leaving only the red X where
they should be. Maybe this is part of the same problem.

Thanks for any help you can be, Ray Parrish

Don Varnau

Hi,
Given the additional information about images, disable (briefly) Zone Alarm
to see if it's involved, then work through this page:
http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/redx.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Ray Parrish said:
Hello again,

As a side note, I noticed that about the same time that IE decided not to
load web pages, the images in Outlook Express emails which aren't sent with
the email will no longer load from the web, leaving only the red X where
they should be. Maybe this is part of the same problem"Ray Parrish"

Ray Parrish

Hello again,

I tried everything you suggested, and still no web pages in IE.

Later, Ray Parrish

"Ray Parrish" <crp[at]cmc.net> wrote in message
Hello,

Internet Explorer 6.0 has for some reason decided that it doesn't need
to load any pages I try to go to. It won't load any page on the internet
at all, not even Windows Update.

I'm running Win98 with all of the security patches downloaded and
installed.

I've tried dumping cookies and emptying the cache but it didn't work.

Please help me as I need Internet Explorer to be working.

Don Varnau

With IE6 on Win98, you may have a "repair" option. Go to Add/remove
programs>MS IE6> Add/remove> Repair. Is "repair" an option?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau wrote:
Hi,
Are other programs, such as Outlook Express or another browser, able to
connect? What's the error message?

What type of internet connection- dial-up, cable, dsl?
"Ray Parrish" <crp[at]cmc.net> wrote in message
Hello,

Internet Explorer 6.0 has for some reason decided that it doesn't need
to load any pages I try to go to. It won't load any page on the internet
at all, not even Windows Update.

I'm running Win98 with all of the security patches downloaded and
installed.

I've tried dumping cookies and emptying the cache but it didn't work.

Please help me as I need Internet Explorer to be working.

Anil Bhattacharji

I have a similar problem .

Only SOME links dont respond.
======================
Just when I was thinking everything is working perfectly !!
I restored the profile from an incremental backup .
For example thisis what happens in Yahoo.
I login and can see may main page . When I click on the Mail link I go to
the Mail summary page .
NOW when I click a particular folder it fails to open .
That is with Yahoo.
I also view th Google New site .
No this some links respond and some dont what can be done ?
I have already tried the regsrvr urlmon.dll advice.

Have disabled Zone Alarm and looked through the security and privacy options
.. Nothing strikes as wrong.

Ray Parrish

I did it! I found the problem. I was going to re-install IE6 and while I was
looking through the list of possible un-installs I found one called Internet
Explorer with a Q number following it like the numbers on the microsoft
knowledge base questions. I un-installed that and now IE is happily loading
web pages, and Outlook Express is showing web linked images, and I'm happy
again. :cool:

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Ray Parrish said:
Hello again,

As a side note, I noticed that about the same time that IE decided
not to load web pages, the images in Outlook Express emails which
aren't sent with the email will no longer load from the web, leaving
only the red X where they should be. Maybe this is part of the same
problem.

Thanks for any help you can be, Ray Parrish

Sorry this is late, but in OE go to Tools | Options |Security and uncheck
the option to block external imaes.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com