Wonderful Windows XP

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I recently had a friend ring me up asking for help with their XP pc. Seems it had crashed badly, could I help. Of course I could but I was 100 miles away.

First problem was that there did not seem to be a hdd showing in bios. Having had this type of problem before I sugested taking the side of the pc and gently pushing the sata dive cables back into place. Worked a treat the hdd now showed up in bios.

Second problem the os had crashed. Now I know they had been having problems, mainly because they did not follow my excellent advice for protecing themselves on-line. So I suggested a fresh install of XP. Well everything went just fine and Windows was installed. Just one small problem ! They could not connect to the internet. Ah ah I thought no mobo drivers. I'll send you the drivers by e-mail I told them. But we can not connect to the internet they cried. Darn I thought. What to do ? Then I remembered that I had given them a Kanotix Live CD to play with. So I talked them through loading the Kanotix and how to mount the windows drives and how to fire up IceWeasle. They managed to find the mobo manufacturers site and download the needed drivers.

So they could finally use their XP os after installing the mobo drivers. Were they happy ! Yes indeede but only for a very very short while. As I explained to them that they would now have to download and install all of the updates , they were only using a XP SP2 disc, and reconfigure all their settings and install all their programs etc etc etc. As far as I know they are still doing that and not very happy about it.

So I gently pointed out to them that it might be a good time to look into using a backup program. I doubt if they will though as the first thing they did when the pc was up and running was to install and connect to MSN messenger.

So your wondering why I posted !!

Well I just wanted to let you all know that if you are in a similar position then having a Linux Live CD handy can be very useful .

Penguinland where life is simple and free. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, Ultimate Boot CD is da biz :thumb:

Linux has it's place but it's not the be-all and end-all.

Although I wish it was.

No protection, no backup and MSN?

Next time they phone up tell 'em to go get stuffed :D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

Although I wish it was.

tell them to buy a back up usb harddrive and back up on there.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
michael555 said:
tell them to buy a back up usb harddrive and back up on there.

You tell 'em Einstein :)

EDIT: Perhaps that comment was uncalled for... ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
They are saving up for a drive but money is tight for one parent families. I gave the lass a 40 GB external for christmas but it never got used. I don't mind helping folk out with advice but I do wish they would take more notice. Still learning is never easy just hope they will get there sooner than later.

:)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

Although I wish it was.

Had not realised you could access the net with UBCD, what programe does it use ??

Puzzled by the " No protection, no backup and MSN" as there are excellent anti -virus and firewall programs for linux along with backup programs and MSN is available from linux. You do need a step through program to access MSN in linux but that is no bad thing as it offers a extra layer of security which is probably useful.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Had not realised you could access the net with UBCD, what programe does it use ??

Puzzled by the " No protection, no backup and MSN" as there are excellent anti -virus and firewall programs for linux along with backup programs and MSN is available from linux. You do need a step through program to access MSN in linux but that is no bad thing as it offers a extra layer of security which is probably useful.

happywave.gif

Crossed wires here I think.

I didn't say you could connect to the net with UBCD, mine was a swift reaction to Mucks' post and I hadn't stopped to consider that the main advantage of you using the Linux Live CD was online connection so your friends could download drivers.

I don't think there is any software on UBCD for online acces though I may be wrong so now I'm as puzzled as you about Mucks' comparison :confused:

As for 'No protection, no backup and MSN' I was referring to your friends' XP installation and not any Linux Distros, live or otherwise (I have a definite case of Deja Vu here).

From your original post I would assume that's how they were running their computer so therefore I commented, basically and in so many words, that they were asking for trouble.

Am I excused now headmaster? ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Abarbarian, yes, the UBCD does indeed allow you to connect to the tinternet ... you will be pleased to know it can make use of three versions of Linux. ;)

:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Abarbarian, yes, the UBCD does indeed allow you to connect to the tinternet ... you will be pleased to know it can make use of three versions of Linux. ;)

Well I never :eek:

Well, today I learnt something :thumb:

I've rarely used my UBCD. have run memtest a few times and some disk config software, and that's about it.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Well I never :eek:

Well, today I learnt something :thumb:

I've rarely used my UBCD. have run memtest a few times and some disk config software, and that's about it.

Me too :thumb:

I used UBCD a long time ago and I found it rather intimidating for a newbie though I did manage to get some help from it.

Muck's I am pleased that UBCD uses three types of linux to access the net as this shows how useful and versatile and slightly superior to Windows the software is.

Penguins connect where others can not. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Me too :thumb:

I used UBCD a long time ago and I found it rather intimidating for a newbie though I did manage to get some help from it.

Muck's I am pleased that UBCD uses three types of linux to access the net as this shows how useful and versatile and slightly superior to Windows the software is.

Penguins connect where others can not. :D

UBCD is a doddle to use, the latest version is integrated with Win XP and browsing is far from intimidating - in fact I'd say it's easier to use than most Linux distros.

Making the disk however was quite a different matter, that was a tad difficult as I recall.

We could liken Windows to a bicycle, it'll get you there and almost anybody can ride one.

Whereas Linux is akin to a Jumbo Jet, it'll get you there but you need a degree, intensive training and plenty of time to master the controls ;)

Let me say this, in an ideal world Linux would rule but the plain truths are it's difficult to use and it don't play mainstream games.

Until it does, there's a place for everything, even Panthers ;)

Think I may just boot up me UBCD and have a look-see :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
UBCD is a doddle to use, the latest version is integrated with Win XP and browsing is far from intimidating - in fact I'd say it's easier to use than most Linux distros.

Making the disk however was quite a different matter, that was a tad difficult as I recall.

We could liken Windows to a bicycle, it'll get you there and almost anybody can ride one.

Whereas Linux is akin to a Jumbo Jet, it'll get you there but you need a degree, intensive training and plenty of time to master the controls ;)

Let me say this, in an ideal world Linux would rule but the plain truths are it's difficult to use and it don't play mainstream games.

Until it does, there's a place for everything, even Panthers ;)

Think I may just boot up me UBCD and have a look-see :)

I'm suprised that you still think that way about linux especially as you have tried Vista and , was it Mint, which one installed and let you use all your kit the easiest ??

I have still to find a Windows os that will work from a CD like the few linux os's I have tried.

Not Window bashing here just telling it like I find it. :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I also tell it like I find it.

Believe it or not I'm actually pro-linux and I'm really not very fond of Microsoft at all.

My dream is to ditch Windows forever and use nothing but open source software.

I despise those idiots at Microsoft, Steve Ballmer makes Bill Gates look like a saint, he is a complete pillock.

However, I'm a realist, and I'll stress that I have no bias whatsoever when it comes to assessing software.

I will truly tell it like it is.

Consider.

I don't like Firefox.

I actually quite like Vista whilst recognising it's shortcomings.

I think Win XP is possibly Microsoft's peak, they will possibly never better it but it is certainly old hat now, outdated and tired.

Every single Linux Distro I've tried, I've had problems with and have had to seek help with.

I'm just about to try a stable version of Mint 6, I previously only used a beta, and yes, only Mint and Suse 10 have recognised all my hardware out of all the distros I've tried.

I don't want to spend a great deal of time making things work on my computer, I gain no satisfaction (well, not much) from making things work by messing about, I just want things to work, out of the box, for me.

Ok, I will go the extra mile, you have to do that with Windows as well, I'll agree, but the two OS's are poles apart with user friendliness.

I have always told it like I find it, sincerely, even if it means ruffling feathers, I suppose a good example of that is saying I prefer IE to all other browsers, though I still not sure about IE8, this one has problems, imo.

What does irk me, to be quite honest, is when folk promote Linux as if it's the new solution, so to speak, when not taking into account most computer users are not that savvy to get their heads round it.

I hope, really, that open source beats Microsoft into a tin hat, I really do, but as mentioned before, I'm a realist and I'm biding my time.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I'm surprised that you still think that way about linux especially as you have tried Vista and , was it Mint, which one installed and let you use all your kit the easiest ??

I have still to find a Windows os that will work from a CD like the few linux os's I have tried.

Not Window bashing here just telling it like I find it. :p
I been there, seen it, done it, lost a lot of hair, got the teashirt, burnt the teashirt, lost more hair ... and I run Vista as main OS. :p

You forget, one reason why the likes of the UBCD use some form of Linux, and these are NOT full blown distros, is quite simple ... cost/licence. ;)

It's actually XP that stopped one using the "good-old" boot disk, heck, even ME made one easy enough for you. :nod: Now, however, there are alternatives, try This one if you like getting your hands dirty.

Most of us that "fix" PCs prefer the UBCD ... :D

Both floppy and I have had several years "experience" with Linux ... me, I prefer a quieter life these days.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Whatever floats one's boat... :p

Good thing there IS choice, though.

muckshifter said:
Both floppy and I have had several years "experience" with Linux ... me, I prefer a quieter life these days.

Hardly surprising, but my version of the above quote would be 'I have had several years "experience" with Windows ... me, I prefer a quieter life these days.' Maybe I'm just too stupid for Windoze.

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I been there, seen it, done it, lost a lot of hair, got the teashirt, burnt the teashirt, lost more hair ... and I run Vista as main OS. :p

You forget, one reason why the likes of the UBCD use some form of Linux, and these are NOT full blown distros, is quite simple ... cost/licence. ;)

It's actually XP that stopped one using the "good-old" boot disk, heck, even ME made one easy enough for you. :nod: Now, however, there are alternatives, try This one if you like getting your hands dirty.

Most of us that "fix" PCs prefer the UBCD ... :D

Now I never knew that you could build a disk like that.
user.gif

I like the fact that there is a alternative to Microsoft that is gaining popularity. Never did like not having choice. I also think that as more official bodies and institutions in Europe and the world adopt Linux then Windows may just fade away to be just a distant memory.
I could go on but that would bore the pants of folks and be of thread. It has been an educational exchange of ideas and views and good fun as well.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question