WMP not playing DVDs

maeve

Hi, Have trouble playing DVDs in WMP11. I am using XP pro! Have Power DVD
7.0 (which works OK) but want WMP as my preferred player. It plays videos,
music etc. and has the DVD tag in options. I tried deleting 11 and rolled
back to 10 but still won't play so went back to 11. I should have codecs
required because I can play in Power dvd, Real, Nero. I get not responding
and have to use task manager to exit program. I used to be able to play
dvds but am wondering if something is conflicting with player. I would
appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Tom Willett

Unless you have installed codecs for WMP, you will have problems playing
DVDs.
Power DVD and others come with codecs. WMP does not.

| Hi, Have trouble playing DVDs in WMP11. I am using XP pro! Have Power DVD
| 7.0 (which works OK) but want WMP as my preferred player. It plays
videos,
| music etc. and has the DVD tag in options. I tried deleting 11 and rolled
| back to 10 but still won't play so went back to 11. I should have codecs
| required because I can play in Power dvd, Real, Nero. I get not
responding
| and have to use task manager to exit program. I used to be able to play
| dvds but am wondering if something is conflicting with player. I would
| appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Helen Li[MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for posting here.

My name is Helen and I am happy to receive your post. From the problem
description of the post you submitted, my understanding is: when playing
DVD in Windows Media Player 11, not responding is received and we have to
use task manager to exit the program wmplayer.exe. If I have misunderstood
your concern, please feel free to correct me.

We can take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Step 1: Clean boot
===============
1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
4. Click OK and restart your computer.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue
disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to
quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Step 2: Lon on with a new user account
===========================
Create another new user profile to test the issue:

1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click User Accounts.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Advanced.
5. In the left pane, click the Users folder.
6. On the Action menu, click New User.
7. Enter the appropriate user information, and then click Create.
8. Logon with the new user account to see if the issue occurs in the user
profile. If the problem occurs, please go to the next step.

For detailed information, you can refer to the following link:
279783: How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP

If there is any help I can provide, please feel free to let me know and I
will do my best to help you.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Helen Li
Microsoft Online Partner Support

PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with
break/fix issues and simple how to questions.

We also love to hear your product feedback!
Let us know what you think by posting
from the web interface: Partner Feedback
from your newsreader: microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.
We look forward to hearing from you!
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

> [...]

quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Step 2: Lon on with a new user account
===========================
Create another new user profile to test the issue:

1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click User Accounts.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Advanced.
5. In the left pane, click the Users folder.
6. On the Action menu, click New User.
7. Enter the appropriate user information, and then click Create.
8. Logon with the new user account to see if the issue occurs in the user
profile. If the problem occurs, please go to the next step.

For detailed information, you can refer to the following link:
279783: How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP

If there is any help I can provide, please feel free to let me know and I

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know. I am glad to be of assistance.

If you are unable to view the reply to your thread, please send an email to
me at (e-mail address removed) with a description of the problem and what
newsreader you are using.