WMM2 chokes on my MPEG files.

This XP Pro box had WinDVD installed on it. I revoved it. WMM2 still shows
the InterVideo codecs in the option. I have them unchecked.

I have a handful of MPEG files imported from my digital camcorder. They
were imported at DVD quality.

The clips play fine on WMP 10, sound and video are great.

When I try to import them to a collection in WMM2, it says "cannot be
imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your
computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close
and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."

Hmm, that is weird, WMP 10 was just playing it. If I enable the InterVideo
codecs, I can import the videos. WMP10 is probably using the InterVideo
Codecs to play the MPEGS. But having the codecs enabled causes instability,
and I am unable to play or export the finished product from WMM2.

Is there another way to get the necessary codecs? So I can work with these
videos?

Thanks,

~S

I will get the original DV files then, as I am pretty sure my capture
software doesn't go directly to wmv.

~S

Wojo

Or, if your camcorder has a firewire port, you can capture to DV-AVI using
WMM.
Just a thought.
-Wojo

That's not an helpful answer -- it ignores the issue. Where is Microsoft's
MPEG support?

If Microsoft can't support all the MPEG formats when importing or export raw
material for creating DVDs -- then Microsoft should get out of offering
multimedia software.

Microsoft's MM2.1 demonstrate a complete lack of vision from when Bill G
funded the Video for Windows product team a long time ago.

Frankly the MM2.1 upgrade with SP2 -- hasn't been worth much.

Wojo

To each his own I guess.
I couldn't care less about working with MPEG video I am perfectly fine with
using AVI's
Can't make everybody happy all the time I suppose.

"Larry Timmins "Multimedia HOF"" <Larry Timmins "Multimedia