WMM opens and then Shuts Down

I have been using Movie Maker for months. Now I open it--it shows my files
and then says it expereinced at problem and shuts down.

I would like to reload the program, but when I go to updates, I get no
option to reload WMM.

John Inzer

Chasworth said:
Me too.
Can someone point us in a right direction at least?
=============================
Some users have reported problems
after installing IE7. If this applies to your
situation ...uninstalling IE7 may be worth
a try.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Hi John.

Well, at least I know now that it's not just me that's having this same
problem.

I checked with my father who has IE7 and Movie Maker 2.1 installed on his
WinXP Pro SP2 system (I too am using IE7). He is not getting any error
messages and MM appears to work just fine - so far. Very interesting. Of
course, this fact doesn't rule out the possibility that IE7 is the culprit.

I only wish we could get some explanation from Microsoft on this pernicious
little problem and how to resolve it. Is there some hidden repair tool or
command in Windows that will restore MM? Or do we have to wait for a patch
fix from Microsoft?

Now I'm left with software that I can't use. And Movie Maker doesn't even
appear in Add/Remove Progams! At the very least, Microsoft should have
released Movie Maker as a separate application that can be reinstalled like a
normal application from the Windows install CD.

John Inzer

rupertsland said:
[...]

====================================
It doesn't cause a problem on every system.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Hi John.

Thanks for the reply. I will be looking for alternative movie software and
forget about Movie Maker. If Microsoft can figure out the problem and provide
a fix, that would be great. Even better if the company could release a new
version (although I doubt it will ever do so with WinXP now that Vista is
out) .

rupertsland
Winnipeg, Canada

John Inzer

Linda said:
This is interesting - I can't find IE on my add/remove programs
either! I have tried looking for the divxaf.ax file - I don't have
that on my computer. I have also tried moving the hardware
acceleration slider to none - no luck. I actually don't have a
problem until I try to do something. I have MYDVD program on my
computer but according to microsoft support they should not cause a
problem for each other. From what I have been able to see with WMM
it would be an awesome program if I could just get it to work...any
other ideas?
===================================
Are you running IE7? If you don't know for sure...
open an IE screen and go to...Help / About...
look at the version number.

IE7 is listed in Add-Remove Programs as:
Windows Internet Explorer 7

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

Linda said:
No, I'm running IE6 -- I also did a file search and didn't find any
IE7 lurking in the background. This is driving me crazy.
=======================
Okay...IE7 is not your problem...

So...now describe the exact
problem you are experiencing.
The more details you provide...
the better chance you have of
finding the fix.

Do you have WinXP SP2 installed?

Are you running Movie Maker 2.1?

It's always confusing when you
add a new question to an existing
thread.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

I am havaing the same problems. When I open WMM I get a popup saying that
WMM has encountered a problem and has to close, I send reports but nothing
works. I am pulling out my hair trying to use this program. My daughter is
able to use it.

John Inzer

Mary said:
I am havaing the same problems. When I open WMM I get a popup saying
that WMM has encountered a problem and has to close, I send reports
but nothing works. I am pulling out my hair trying to use this
program. My daughter is able to use it.
============================
When you have a question...please
begin a new thread.

Some users have reported problems
after installing IE7. If this applies to your
situation ...uninstalling IE7 may be worth
a try.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

I don't know how to start a new thread. How would I go about unstalling IE7
and installing IE6. Thank you for answering me.

John Inzer

Mary said:
I don't know how to start a new thread. How would I go about
unstalling IE7 and installing IE6. Thank you for answering me.
To begin a new thread...click the New button
and then select Question. I'm guessing you
are posting from the following site:

MovieMaker...
http://tinyurl.com/b8bka

Have a look at the following article for info
on IE7:

(927177) How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177/en-us

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Thank you John for your help, I deleted IE7 and Installed IE6 and the movie
maker finally works. Thank you again for all your help. Mary

John Inzer

Mary said:
Thank you John for your help, I deleted IE7 and Installed IE6 and the
movie maker finally works. Thank you again for all your help. Mary
==========================
You're welcome.

Thanks for the update.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

RalfG

The workaround outlined in the following post from last year helped me solve
the same Movie Maker issue, perhaps it will help some others. As per his
example Intervideo apps are installed on my computer so the fix went by the
numbers.

======begin quoted text

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker
From: "Dean Rowe [MS]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:05:36 -0800

Subject: Re: Movie Maker always has to close

There's a component in Direct Show which caches the information about the
effects and transitions that are registered upon your system. Unfortunately
there's a bug in that component which causes it to crash if you have a lot
of transitions and effects installed. MovieMaker calls this routine on
startup which is probably why you're seeing MovieMaker crash.

Fortunately there is a workaround by doing something like the following.

1. Find an application which has registered a bunch of effect filters.
2. Rename the directory that the application is installed into to
something else - which will temporarily cause those effect filters to fail
to load.
3. Start MovieMaker. As less effects are successfully created,
MovieMaker should hopefully launch.
4. Rename the directory in step 2 back to it's original name so the
original application still works.
5. Start MovieMaker again. As everything was successfully cached in step
3 it shouldn't try to recache things so it should continue to work..

As an example of an application for step 1, I've seen people run into this
problem with applications installed from InterVideo. (This isn't a bug in
InterVideo's application - it's a Microsoft bug it's just that InterVideo
applications can install a bunch of DirectShow filters). In this case you
would go to your "C:\Program Files\InterVideo" directory and rename
"InterVideo" to something like "TempInterVideo". Then start MovieMaker. Once
it has launched, close it down and rename "TempInterVideo" back to
"InterVideo".

Good luck
Dean Rowe

=========end

Ian B

John Inzer said:
=============================
Some users have reported problems
after installing IE7. If this applies to your
situation ...uninstalling IE7 may be worth
a try.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

I have tried this and it works for me, thank you John Inzer Ian B Wales