Wireless Zero Configuration missing

I am using Windows XP Home Edition on a Sharp Laptop. I've got a built-in
wirless connection. I tested a USB 802.11b adapter, before giving it to a
friend. It worked fine, so I gave it away, then removed the drivers.

Now, Windows is saying that it cannot configure my built-in wireless
network, because the Wireless Zero Configuration service is not started. I
followed the instructions in the KB article 871122, up to the point where I
tried to start the service. The service does NOT appear in the services list,
so I can't "double click" on it.

I've also tried to manually start the service by running "svchost.exe -k
netsrvc" but that didn't work either. Help! How can I get the service
restarted?

Steve Winograd [MVP]

I am using Windows XP Home Edition on a Sharp Laptop. I've got a built-in
wirless connection. I tested a USB 802.11b adapter, before giving it to a
friend. It worked fine, so I gave it away, then removed the drivers.

Now, Windows is saying that it cannot configure my built-in wireless
network, because the Wireless Zero Configuration service is not started. I
followed the instructions in the KB article 871122, up to the point where I
tried to start the service. The service does NOT appear in the services list,
so I can't "double click" on it.

I've also tried to manually start the service by running "svchost.exe -k
netsrvc" but that didn't work either. Help! How can I get the service
restarted?

The configuration programs for some wireless network adapters delete
the Wireless Zero Configuration service. Try this fix:

1. Run the registry editor.

2. Open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC

3. Create a DWORD value named "Start" and set it to 2.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Thanks! That enabled the service in the services list, and I was able to
start it. Everything worked out fine from there.

Thanks again,
David

I have the same problem in XP Pro Does this also work with this O/S or is
there a different fix?....P.S. This service was uninstalled after the install
of a Linksys WMP54 Wireless NIC Card.

Never mind tried it and it does THANKS!!!!!!!!!

thrashcat said:
I have the same problem in XP Pro Does this also work with this O/S or is
there a different fix?....P.S. This service was uninstalled after the install
of a Linksys WMP54 Wireless NIC Card.

Steve Winograd [MVP]

I have the same problem in XP Pro Does this also work with this O/S or is
there a different fix?....P.S. This service was uninstalled after the install
of a Linksys WMP54 Wireless NIC Card.

Installing the utility program for some wireless network cards
disables Wireless Zero Configuration. To re-enable WZC:

1. Run the registry editor.

2. Open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC

3. Create a DWORD value named "Start" and set it to 2.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

I am having the same problem after a system update. When I went in to edit
my registry as explained below there was already a DWord value named start
and set to 2. Any ideas beyond this?

-Daniel

Hamilton Collins

Same Windows Zero Configuration problem as the others so I typed in the
suggested address using the Run option:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC

and the following error message appears:

Windows cannot find
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC', Make sure you
typed the name correctly and then try again...

I searched for WZCSVC and it comes up 8 times in the following location on
the HD:

System 32
ServicePackFiles\i386
Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab
Driver Cache\i386\sp1.cab
Driver Cache\i386\sp2.cab
Driver Cache\i386\sp3.cab
ServicePackFiles\i386\sp2.cab
ServicePackFiles\i386\sp3.cab

How can I get the Zero Configuration tool functioning properly?

System: Dell Inspiron 8600, freshly reinstalled XP operating system along
with dell drivers and things.

JL

Steve Winograd said:
The configuration programs for some wireless network adapters delete
the Wireless Zero Configuration service. Try this fix:

1. Run the registry editor.

2. Open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC

3. Create a DWORD value named "Start" and set it to 2.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

I tried this solution. When I looked at my friends laptop, the DWORD value
is already established and set to 4. I changed to 2, but this solution
didn't work. The error message I received when I tried to access the
wireless networks states:
"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled
another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software. If
you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the SZC
service..."

and points to this article.

My friends laptop is a Dell Vostro, and it's running on Windows XP Home
Edition. I found a program in the systray called Dell QuickSet that has a
Wi-Fi locator, and I tried disabling it, but still cannot connect to the
internet.

Do you have another suggestion to help me? Thanks.

Steve Winograd

I tried this solution. When I looked at my friends laptop, the DWORD value
is already established and set to 4. I changed to 2, but this solution
didn't work. The error message I received when I tried to access the
wireless networks states:
"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled
another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software. If
you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the SZC
service..."

and points to this article.

My friends laptop is a Dell Vostro, and it's running on Windows XP Home
Edition. I found a program in the systray called Dell QuickSet that has a
Wi-Fi locator, and I tried disabling it, but still cannot connect to the
internet.

Do you have another suggestion to help me? Thanks.

Reboot and see if it works. If it doesn't, run "services.msc" and
make sure that the Wireless Zero Configuration service is started.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

balong

David said:
I am using Windows XP Home Edition on a Sharp Laptop. I've got a built-in
wirless connection. I tested a USB 802.11b adapter, before giving it to a
friend. It worked fine, so I gave it away, then removed the drivers.

Now, Windows is saying that it cannot configure my built-in wireless
network, because the Wireless Zero Configuration service is not started. I
followed the instructions in the KB article 871122, up to the point where I
tried to start the service. The service does NOT appear in the services list,
so I can't "double click" on it.

I've also tried to manually start the service by running "svchost.exe -k
netsrvc" but that didn't work either. Help! How can I get the service
restarted?

Chris

Hi, don't know if anyone can help.

I've followed the instructions below and have the problem that once I get to
the point of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC

there is no WZCSVC for me to go into.

Help please!

Thanks

Chris

Joined
Dec 2, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Help

Steve Winograd [MVP] said:
In article <[email protected]>,
"David" wrote:
>I am using Windows XP Home Edition on a Sharp Laptop. I've got a built-in
>wirless connection. I tested a USB 802.11b adapter, before giving it to a
>friend. It worked fine, so I gave it away, then removed the drivers.
>
>Now, Windows is saying that it cannot configure my built-in wireless
>network, because the Wireless Zero Configuration service is not started. I
>followed the instructions in the KB article 871122, up to the point where I
>tried to start the service. The service does NOT appear in the services list,
>so I can't "double click" on it.
>
>I've also tried to manually start the service by running "svchost.exe -k
>netsrvc" but that didn't work either. Help! How can I get the service
>restarted?

The configuration programs for some wireless network adapters delete
the Wireless Zero Configuration service. Try this fix:

1. Run the registry editor.

2. Open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC

3. Create a DWORD value named "Start" and set it to 2.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

I have the same problem except when I tried to edit my registry, the WZCSVC entry listed above doesnt exist in my registry either. Im also using Windows XP home ed. service pack 2. help plz.