wireless router

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Who are you saying blocked it - Telewest Blueyonder or Netgear?

Did Telewest supply this router?

Standard Netgear Routers do not stop you from using multiple wireless connections.

Also I would steer clear of USB Wireless adapters - use a proper Wireless Network Card, they are generally more reliable and give a stronger signal..

:thumb:

yep telewest blueyonder they made netgear blok them thats what i found on the net so they are jiggered and can only connect by cat cables or a usb adapter :mad:

and it wont work with me psp :mad:

so i need the best router quickest for 45 pounds inc delivery

any suggestions

Reaction score
Telewest Blueyonder dont lay down the laws to manufacturers. If what you are saying is true then that would affect their sales on a massive scale. I just cant see that happening.

Has this been confirmed by Netgear, or is it just net hearsay?

Reaction score
Reaction score
I C so by the looks of it they have commisioned Netgear because of their popularity to make routers for them and incorporate their own BIOS

Oh dear

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
I C so by the looks of it they have commisioned Netgear because of their popularity to make routers for them and incorporate their own BIOS

Oh dear

i think netgears are the best looking out of the lot so all i have do is find out which one

Reaction score
It's not impossible to change the firmware i expect, even mine has a 'Custom' Firmware on it, written by me.

And i can turn off Firmware changing aswell, but if i unscrew the cover and place a jumper on certain pins i can still flash it to standard Firmware.

I've done this on Origo (aka. eBuyer Value), 3COM, D-Link so far, not tried a Netgear but i'm sure it could be done, don't hold me to that.

But the fact they locked it in the first place is ridiculous, how are you meant to update the bloomin' thing if vunerabilites are found with the router, they are basically putting your internet security at risk too by locking out updates.

Reaction score
ChrisIMRIE said:
It's not impossible to change the firmware i expect, even mine has a 'Custom' Firmware on it, written by me.

And i can turn off Firmware changing aswell, but if i unscrew the cover and place a jumper on certain pins i can still flash it to standard Firmware.

I've done this on Origo (aka. eBuyer Value), 3COM, D-Link so far, not tried a Netgear but i'm sure it could be done, don't hold me to that.

But the fact they locked it in the first place is ridiculous, how are you meant to update the bloomin' thing if vunerabilites are found with the router, they are basically putting your internet security at risk too by locking out updates.

they gave me a cable modem because my old p.c wouldnt take the wireless kit ithought it was kind letting me keep the wireless router but this

are ebuyer extra value any good ?

Reaction score
itsme said:
I have looked at this site and found it to be very good, prices are exelent and all you need is there on the site Drivers/Manuals Etc: So thank you Mr Bishop:thumb:
Itsme you are welcome.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
safcfan4eva said:
these look god ill order soon ;)

but it says asdl modem can it still be used for blueyonder
No it says DSL modem, which is fine with Blueyonder:thumb:

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
No it says DSL modem, which is fine with Blueyonder:thumb:

right thanks

would it make much difference getting the 108mbps one than 54mbps one

i have 2mb broaadband

just thinking if its worth getting the quicker one

Reaction score
safcfan4eva if you look at the other thread by me it should help you to make up your mind ( Brodband Router) I spelt it wrong as I left out the first a.
I would recomend for you a SWBAR 5400 £24.99 and one SWLUT 54125 £14.99 you can purchase the SWBRU 54108 £37.99 it will work with some printers check if it will work with your printer if you need it first. But you will not need it if you are going to connect two pc and they are reasonably close if they are you will only need to buy one usb adapter.
http://www.qtds.com/products.asp?recnumber=795

Reaction score
w.bishop said:
safcfan4eva if you look at the other thread by me it should help you to make up your mind ( Brodband Router) I spelt it wrong as I left out the first a.
I would recomend for you a SWBAR 5400 £24.99 and one SWLUT 54125 £14.99 you can purchase the SWBRU 54108 £37.99 it will work with some printers check if it will work with your printer if you need it first. But you will not need it if you are going to connect two pc and they are reasonably close if they are you will only need to buy one usb adapter.
http://www.qtds.com/products.asp?recnumber=795

thanks for the help ill get the quicker one so i can share printers ect also its quicker and that will be neccessary whe blueyonder upgrade the speed to 10mbps

Reaction score
The speed of Blueyonder will not make any difference to the signal strength of the router they are independant of one another. The Blueyonder tech told me the 54 router would be suitable for my needs, the only reason I puchased the 108 was for the printer,they also told me you only need one usb adapter if the router is near their modem and the first pc, they also told me it is impossible for them to know you are using a router because of the firewall.

Ask a Question